Strings click on fret when playing - need advice

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Rumble On, May 29, 2018.

1. Hounddog409

Hounddog409

Oct 27, 2015
    ohio
    the metal string hits the metal fret. it makes a noise. Not sure I would call it a click....but there is not a bass or guitar made that will not have a noise when a metal string hits a metal fret.

It you can hear it over the note when the amp is on - turn down the damn treble and mids.

Set all nobs at 12 0'clock. can you still hear it over the note?

2. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    She's new to bass... I probably heard it, too, when I first started playing... after +30 years of playing, not so much, anymore.

She turned down the treble.

3. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    My advice: Start a Red Hot Chili Pepper's tribute band. The action you have now is perfect for this - Flea has made a very good living clacking his strings off his frets.

Rumble On and Spidey2112 like this.
  4. Agree with this 100%

5. Eric Swaim

Eric Swaim GOD, U.S. MIlitary, Country Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Action is either too low or your technique with your right hand needs improved. If its the right hand change the attack angle of your playing. I het my students to pretend they are getting an Eggo Waffle between strings. The attack is more horizonal than angled vertically. helps this issue every time.

Last edited: May 30, 2018
    Rumble On and SteveCS like this.
  6. Cliff Colton

Cliff Colton

Nov 7, 2016
    Is the clack similar at all frets, or is making a different clacking noise depending on where on the fretboard you are playing? For example, does it sound ok at frets 1,2, and 3, but annoyingly clacky at 7 and/or 8 and/or 9?

7. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    I've no idea what an Ego Waffle is, but yes, a more horizontal stroke across (through) the string with the fingertip moving almost parallel to the face of the body, is IMHO, far preferrable to an inwards strike...

Rumble On likes this.
  8. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    The solution is a technique called "muting." If you mute the strings with your right hand, then you will not hear the "click" sound come through the amp. :)

9. Eric Swaim

Sep 21, 2004
    Murfreesboro, TN
    box-of-eggo-frozen-waffles-on-white-background-in-front-of-toaster-CEHBDX.jpg
    Eggo Waffle you put in a toaster, if you use the wrong technique pulling it out of the toaster, you burn your fingers.

two-kellogs-eggo-breakfast-waffles-in-a-toaster-DCHH4N.jpg two-kellogs-eggo-breakfast-waffles-in-a-toaster-DCHH4N.jpg

Last edited: May 30, 2018
    SteveCS likes this.
  10. Loring

Loring Supporting Member

May 4, 2017
    Ontario

Yeah - it's Eggo. That's why no one understands the reference lol...

St_G likes this.
  11. Eric Swaim

Sep 21, 2004
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Ego, Eggo either way everyone should know what a waffle is

SteveCS likes this.
  12. Just browsing through the thread, so apologies if I'm retreading the same ground.

Without being too presumptuous regarding your experience, it takes a fair amount of time to develop all the little techniques associated with shaping your sound. Things like string muting using either hand, changing fretting fingers while a note is being played, hammer on and pull-off techniques, the amount of force applied when fretting or plucking, and more, all should become second nature given enough time and experience. You'll also figure out what incidental playing noises are significant in a group setting and which are not.

Rumble On and Spin Doctor like this.
  13. Rip Van Dan

Rip Van Dan DNA Endorsing Artist Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Duvall, WA
    Sounds to me like you just need to drop the treble EQ on your amp. If your treble EQ is set above 12 o'clock, drop it back down to 12. If that doesn't do it, drop it down to 11. That will clear up almost all your string and fret noise. Good news is that no matter how irritating that is to you in a personal practice, it will not be audible when playing in a group because the guitars and keyboards will be covering up that part of the sound spectrum.

Rumble On likes this.
  14. James Collins

James Collins

Mar 25, 2017
    Augusta, GA
    I like the term Ego Waffle.

15. jackn1202

jackn1202

Feb 14, 2018
    Austin, TX
    It's mainly technique, I think. I used to hate playing this one Jazz Bass that was sitting around the instrument lockers at my school (no one knows where it came from- it just kinda showed up) because it would do the same thing you're talking about. I was modding my bass awhile back and couldn't use it for a few weeks, and had to use the Jazz. At first it was rough, all buzzy and messy and all that, but after awhile it got less so. I kept playing that Jazz for rehearsals even after my bass was fixed, got to the point where there was very little buzz, and now that's one of my favorite basses I've ever played. So it was me, not the bass. Playing lighter with my right hand and really making sure my left hand was clamping down the string corrected most of that.

That being said, a proper setup couldn't hurt if you know a guy, and different strings could also help. Strings with higher tension could reduce some of that buzz. I know it did on my T-Bird.

Rumble On likes this.
  16. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    Much of what is posted on t'interweb would qualify...

17. JKos

JKos Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Torrance, CA
    That doesn't sound good. It should take very little pressure/force to fret cleanly.

- John

18. drumvsbass

drumvsbass

Aug 20, 2011
    Winnipeg
    Could be that you are playing with a down stroke at the string instead of more across the string. If it's coming through the amp and you have the treble turned down as you say, it could also be the string striking the pickup pole. All that said a little bit of click on the front end of the note isn't necessarily undesirable, would likely not be heard in a band situation, and does give the note a distinct type of attack that can be used as an advantage depending on your desired end result.

Rumble On likes this.
  19. jackn1202

jackn1202

Feb 14, 2018
    Austin, TX
    You're right, I'm thinking of cello. Making sure your finger is right behind the fret, does that sound right maybe?

20. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    Welcome to bass playing! I don't know why, but it seems like most answers really missed the problem. I think you're describing the problem perfectly - maybe it's a balkan thing :D
    Anyway, some answers were on point. It's mainly a) too much power in your left hand and b) bad synchronization of left and right hands. It will get much better as you'll start to control the strength of your left hand's fingers and as you will pluck the string with your right hand closer to the exact moment you fret the string with your left. However, don't go crazy over it. I still get that clank sometimes after many years of playing, so I think that to a degree it can be expected. It's good that you're conscious about it, this probably means you'll actively try to get better. Don't expect great improvement overnight and it might never completely go away, but it will get better. Have fun!

SteveCS and Rumble On like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021