1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Strings for a 5string acoustic bass.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Fenderblue18, Aug 30, 2008.

1. Fenderblue18

Fenderblue18

Jul 21, 2008
    warwick RI
    I just bought a new acoustic bass. Its a 5string but oddly enough, the low B is a nickel colored string and the rest are bronze. I only bought it because of the design on the fretboard, and it sound pretty good.
    Anyone with a suggestion on how to string this bass? Should I put a bronze low B on it? Or should I buy a set of nickels? Or maybe flats? Any help would be hot.
    Thanx.
    Mike:help:

2. robmill3r

robmill3r

May 28, 2008
    the nickel is probably there to make for a balanced sound.
    does it sound too bright, compared to the other strings?

If you plan to jam mostly unamplified, get some acousticores and you'll have the best chance of maintaining a presence w/ those bright 6 strings, banjos, and whatever.
    If you want to amplify and are looking for a nice, balanced sound, you may want to consider singles:
    On my fretless acoustic 5, I'm working with nylon tape B, Bronze E, A, and Nickel Flat D, G. Good thing I never replace strings...;)
    I EQ the high end down down down and it sounds pretty close to a double bass.
    Have fun!!!

3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I've used nothing but LaBella nylon tapes on my ABGs for years.