1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Strings for BEAD tunning.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Sauron_, Mar 14, 2008.

1. Hi!!

I need to tune my bass BEAD and I'm looking for the best strings for that. I've been thinking on the Billy Sheehan's Rotosounds (47-110) or any 50-110 string gauges. I suppose that high tension strings would be the best choice...

Ah! the bass is a Yamaha BB1000 Michael Anthony, 4 strings, 34" scale.

Thank you!

2. Depends what kinda sound you want, if you like that dropped tuned slack kinda sound and get your setup worked out for the lack of tension then I'd say go for some 110s of some form.

If you prefer definition then you might be best getting a 130ish 5 string set (I forget what the standard gauges are for B strings) and give what would be the G string back to the music shop, might be able to haggle a bit of a discount or something depending on whether it's a chain or not, most chain shops in general don't like to talk deals.

3. Liko

Liko

Mar 30, 2007
    If you want BEAD on a 4-string, don't mess around. Get a 5-string pack and use the lowest four. I would recommend a 45-130 5-string pack, making your four strings 65-130. Otherwise your B is going to be floppy and muddy.

4. moles

moles

Jan 24, 2007
    Winnipeg, MB
    Might want to take a peek at Schecter's website. I had a Scorpion bass from them a few years ago - which was designed to be tuned BEAD. I know that they were also selling replacement string sets so you wouldn't have to shell out money for all 5 strings. They still might have them available..