1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Strings for Heavy Metal

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by metallist, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Hey, I'm in the market for new strings - have tried a few; Warwick Yellows .045-.135, Warwick Blacks .045-.135 and some others (can't remember).

I'm looking to get something 'different'.

The Yellows were too bright & the Blacks chewed my fingers & frets.

Looking for something in between - something that is going to compliment the style of music I play (play mostly metal, with a mixed of Tool {they are their own category} mixed with Jazz with some random tapping (I DON'T SLAP).

The strings will need to have a .135 B string as my nut has been filed out to fit a .135 B.

Please help me out! :help:

Cheers, Simon

2. i dig rotosounds. they sound reallll good to me.

one of my metal-playing friends uses DR's. the colored ones.

3. Sorry - I'm a novice when it comes to strings...

Rotosounds?

What DR's does you're mate use?

4. CapeBass

CapeBass Guest

I like Rotosounds for metal also, except I like the light gauge. I also use DR and D'addario. For tapping I prefer lighter gauges.

5. Who make Rotosounds?

6. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    Rotosound is the name of the company.

I like DR Stainless Steel Lo Riders. Plenty of grunt and ping, but so smooth on the hands.

7. Oops - my bad!

8. Christian Waiau

Christian Waiau

Jun 16, 2005
    las vegas/maui, nevada/hawaii
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, Aguilar, Darkglass
    i tried DR's... Rotosounds.... Fender... GHS... and everything was ok... except D'Addario! ... I LOVE THEM! i got the 45-105 brights and i couldnt be happier.. i play a 4 string tuned down CGCF. its got the right tension and aggressive tone.. i wish i would have used them to record.

9. WayneS

WayneS

Apr 9, 2007
    Virginia
    I use Rotosound flatwounds. They are probably not good for tapping though. Too stiff. They sound freakin great though!

10. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    Rotosound Swing Bass - They sound like a jazz string but I swear they are made for metal. Nothing bites harder.

11. Ampeg SVT

Ampeg SVT Son, I am disappoint.

Sep 9, 2006
    Lo-Riders here, Killer strings for downtuning.

12. I used to play Rotosounds until I discovered La'Bella Hard Rockin' Steels!

13. I use D'addario Nickel wounds. I play bass in two metal bands.

14. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    +1. DR lo-rider SS all the way.

I hate Rotosounds. They last for like 3 days...then they're dead, and that's if you get a decent pack in the first place. I'm sure they were the best thing since sliced bread in the 70's, but technology has done wonderful things!

15. Croox

Croox

Sep 16, 2007
    South Side Chicago
    DR extended life strings (colored ones)

thats what I use. great strings with a good color selection. check them out

16. Qvist

Qvist

Jul 20, 2007
    Denmark
    To be honest I can't hear the difference between Ernie ball and rotosound strings, so I don't think you should put yourself so much up on that. You want a very deep bass sound, go for some really thick strings, and the other way around if you want to do some high's

17. Earwigger

Earwigger I'm a Roland man now.

Aug 23, 2005
    Cleveland, Ohio
    DR Hi-Beams are brighter then the Lo-Riders, but have a bit clearer low end. The Lo-Riders have a lot of midrange honk, which can be a good or bad thing.

I prefer Fat-Beams on my Jazz that I use for metal. They are very deep sounding.

18. GabeN

GabeN

Feb 27, 2006
    Chugiak, AK
    SS Lowriders FTW. Plenty of tension for aggressive picking but TONS of delicious tone. Oh, and silky smooth.

19. optikhog

optikhog

Apr 2, 2007
    St. Peters, MO
    Ken Smith Metal Masters. Lotsa Zing and tons of low-end grunt.

20. *smb

*smb

Nov 26, 2006
    I use d'Addarios. I find Rotosounds far too bright and metallic sounding, and they don't age well IMO.