1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Strings strings and strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by txthrashking, Jul 6, 2012.

1. Ok I play fast thrash with a pick but I'm having trouble deciding between five types
    Sit strings David ellefson sigs
    Dunlop rob Trujillo sigs
    D'addrio strings in general
    Ernie ball cobalt/coated
    Or
    DR strings in general
    I want bright but still warm

2. funkybass

funkybass

Oct 19, 2006
    Indiana
    DR strings are awesome. Try some fat or hi beams.

3. otherclef

otherclef

Aug 10, 2011
    Charleston
    IMHO there is TI and then the rest.

4. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Out of that list, DR for sure. Never used TI's though, just can't come off $75 for a set of strings.

Get your best price and selection here:
    http://www.bassstringsonline.com/
    And don't forget to register and tell him you're a TB user so you get the discount :)

5. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    What do you play now and what do you want to experience differently from your strings?

If we don't know that then it wont get you anywhere...

:D

6. gary m

gary m

Jan 17, 2011
    Mid -Atlantic
    I'll toss two others into this mix: GHS Precision Flats and Pyramid Gold flats. I use both.

7. No flats just rounds plz

8. Would nickel or steel be better? And is the core gonna change the sound if so what would be the best core?

9. SLaPiNFuNK

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Nickel or Steel? Depends on the overall tone you want...

Core doesn't so much effect the tone as it does the feel. Generally round core strings are more flexible than hex core strings, but this will all depend on the outer windings as well.

Do you have any idea of the strings you are playing now are? If not, are they what came on your bass? If so what is the bass / year etc?

10. I think Ernie ball slinky 4
    And I am thing gettin dr hibeams but is that a good tone choice?
    Also I play at about 180bpms plus so would round or hex be better?

11. lowfreq1

lowfreq1

Mar 26, 2006
    Stockholm Sweden
    Hex core DR Lo Riders are great strings, they're little stiffer than Hi-Beams (round core), so try Lo-Riders... seems like it would suit you!
    It really can't go wrong with DR strings. Very good strings.

12. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    Buy one set of each and try them all out ...

13. musicman666

musicman666

Sep 11, 2011
    ca
    Is this a "Best strings for Metal" thread?....anyways I have always liked the sparkly, grindy tone of 'Dean Markley Blue Steels' for Metal, though they never seem to last long for me, go dead fairly quickly....Still, ya can't beat that tone. Good luck!

14. SLaPiNFuNK

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    I would go with a Hex string personally for what you are doing. Round core may start to feel gummy and loose to you. But you may want to give them a try...

I would look at sets 50-105 or 50-110, the heavier lower strings will help tighten things up for you.

Maybe even a custom set like .050 .070 .080 .115 would be killer too!

15. "Q"

"Q"

Feb 9, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    Bright but warm suggests you want a scooped sound.

You might be expecting a bit much from just a string swap to get there on it's own.

Heavy gauge string in stainless or alloy 52 are probably your best candidate.

I know we're just talking strings here but, to get the sound you want I'd go with EMG p/u's, the heavy stainless or alloy 52 (like GHS Progressives) and a tube pre in front of your amp. You can get one from ART for about $50.

IME the brightness from strings is always pretty raw sounding and it's a bit easier to "warm up" the brightness with a tube than to find a perfect set of strings that have that sound. Using the tube pre will probably make several kinds of string work well for you too.

16. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Of those, Daddario xl or Dr neons would be my pick.

17. Skygonzo

Skygonzo

Jul 8, 2012
    i'm currently running a set and loving it.

18. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    You are overthinking this. All of this discussion is subjective and there is no way around this simple fact.

If you want to know the difference between all those strings, you have to buy them all and compare them all in one setting on the same bass. I don't know of many people who can do that so just do what the rest of us do...

Buy a set and see if you like it, if you don't like it or if you are curious enough to see if something is better, buy a different set next time.