1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Strings that come on Lakland Skylines?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by shoot-r, Sep 13, 2008.

1. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    Anybody know what strings come new on Lakland Skyline 44-02's?
    Thanks.

2. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
  3. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    Thanks Bob.
    The store that I got the bass from didn't have a clue.

4. mccartneyman

mccartneyman

Dec 22, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Managing Editor, Bass Guitars Editor, MusicGearReview.com
    They are made for Lakland by GHS, but GHS has no corresponding set for sale. I love the Lakland nicke lrounds.

5. basadam

basadam

Nov 29, 2005
  6. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I absolutely dislike every GHS string I've used in the past, but the Lakland stock strings sound great. I now use DRs on my Skylines, but the stock tone when I got my Laklands I think has a lot to do to its GHS/Lakland strings.

7. If I were looking for my 55-02 to 'snarl' a bit more, would the DRs do the trick? I've been messing with my EQ for a few months now, and though the bass sizzles a bit more than when I got it, I'd like to see just how much bite I can get out of this axe...

Oh, it's not barts-equipped.

8. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well DRs are by far my favorite strings and I've used GHS, D'Addario, Rotosound, Laklands, Ernie Ball and others.

I love Sunbeams on my Laklands DJ4 and Nickel Lo-Riders on my Lakland Glaub. The Sunbeams sound amazing to my ears, very detailed, bright but not brittle and they have a little more flexibility in its feel (lower tension). The Lo-Riders are more aggressive and have more tension and rougher feel; that's why I adore them on my Pbass.

I feel that the stock strings in Lakland basses have a lot of bite and snarl. So I'm not gonna garantee that you would get more aggressiveness from DRs than with those Lakland/GHS strings.

However I do recommend DRs as high-quality amazing sounding strings to anyone, regardless on the bass they own. The real question is which one to pick: Hi-Beams, Lo-Riders, Sunbeams, Bootzillas, etc etc.

DR strings are expensive compared to others like D'Addario, GHS and Rotosound. But I feel I get what I pay for. They sound incredible and last for a long time. The "new string sound" fades in about 2-3 weeks with contstant use, but different from other strings IME, the sound then becomes warmer but still very responsive and good. Not like others where the tone just becomes mushy, indistinct and muddy.

Sorry for such a long post. But describing strings is the hardest thing ever.

9. Supertanker

Supertanker Watch the dog! He is trained to bite!

Jun 23, 2005
    CinCinNati
    I ask Dan about the strings, he said they are GHS Boomers (steel and nickel)...

10. mccartneyman

mccartneyman

Dec 22, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Managing Editor, Bass Guitars Editor, MusicGearReview.com
    They are Boomers. but the last I knew GHS doesn't sell a Boomers set with a tapered B. Maybe the stock Boomers 4-string set is the same, but the 5 isn't.

11. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    You know what I find ironic.....when I was younger, I hated GHS strings (and have not bought them since).....but I really like the Lakland strings.....must be "different specs"....

12. doktorfeelgood

doktorfeelgood layin' it down like pavement Supporting Member

In the 80's I used nothing BUT GHS Boomers...On all of my basses. Then when the D'Addario Slow Wounds came out I tried them and have been using D'Addario's since...until a month ago I put a set of Medium-Light GHS Boomers, that I had gotten for free, on my Highway 1 Jazz with DiMarzio pickups. I think I'm going back to GHS for all of my basses.
    A little more tension than the D'Addario's (of the same gauge)but when I got used to it I found that I was able to actually to get my action a little lower because the GHS strings didn't oscillate as much due to the greater tension and therefore didn't buzz out on the neck. And the tone is pretty amazing.
    Now all I need to do is find a place where I can buy the Boomers at a reasonable price. )-(

13. vinestreet

vinestreet

Aug 17, 2008
    Singapore
    Are these the same stock strings on all Lakland Skylines? I've got a DJ4 coming and was wondering what I'm gonna get with it.