Strings went dead overnight...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by kgbeast, Apr 13, 2024.

1. kgbeast

kgbeast

Jan 19, 2023
    I have encountered something something weird with a new set of strings. D and G strings went completely dead overnight, without any one touching them. The strings had about 5 hours of play time. They went dead not just mellow like an older string, but totally dead, like upright, does not even sustain. Only G an D while the E and A are still great. The tuning did not change, they just stop sounding.. I replaced the two strings and the new ones sound fine, so it is not bass.
    I was reading some articles on line and came across something about if strings ends are cut, there might be a separation of the core from wrapping and string can be dead from that.
    I am wondering if that can be a problem or what other mechanisms that can cause such abrupt end.
    Now as a disclaimer, these are under $8 for set strings, but they have a killer tone and hight output...or had rather. But regardless that, can this happen to usual brand name strings or is it strictly the cheap string thing?
    If anyone wonders, these are Shuffle EB4-105. But again, I am not sure if this is the strings or if it has to do with improper install.

Reedt2000 likes this.
  2. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    Bad witness points can do what you describe, but if that were the case I'd expect them to be dead sounding from the start. I'd guess it was a separation of core and winding. Probably started at the tuning machine and took a little time to work into the full length of the string.

FunkHead, HowieD72 and MultiScaleMale like this.
  3. kgbeast

kgbeast

Jan 19, 2023
    Definitely not whiteness points, I am aware of that and set those. The moment I heard the strings after putting them o , I decided to keep them, and did a complete setup with all the witness points, intonations, action, etc. This is my bass for experiments and had many strings on of various manufacturers I just never gotten into crimping the cut ends and now wondering if I encountered the result of that, or if it is a cheap strings sindrom.

Reedt2000 likes this.
  4. bass12

bass12 Have You Met Grace Jones? Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Crimping the string ends is something I associate with round core strings, not hex core (which yours undoubtedly are). Sounds like a case of “you get what you pay for”.

5. Sounds like you just got what you paid for. Don't expect much from $8 a set.

MonetBass, Element Zero, 31HZ and 9 others like this.
  6. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi kgbeast :)

This is a thing! It mostly happens on cheaper roundcore strings. Usually this will result in a buzzing string.

(buzzing without fretting it and a buzzing sound everywhere across the fretboard)

The wraps will rattle against the core.

But it is very rare on hexcores afaik (I for my part never had that!)

I use to kink (edit to add: crimp!) my strings before cutting them. Do you?

greetings

Wise(b)ass

Last edited: Apr 13, 2024
    GlennRH likes this.
  7. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Crimping is hip no matter which string! :D

8. I do it to every string type every time prior to cutting, there is no down side.

mdogs, LiptonJigglers, N4860 and 4 others like this.
  9. kgbeast

kgbeast

Jan 19, 2023
    I will crimp from now on. Thanks. I might get another set of these strings and try with crimped ends.

N4860, Pyrrho Epoche and Wisebass like this.
  10. HowieD72

HowieD72

Oct 12, 2017
    Whangarei
    +1 :D

mrperkolator likes this.
  11. Looked em up, Hex core on a Nickel. Could be a few things. Right off the top, they may be twisted. Take them off and reinstall, making sure they are straight. Could also be pickup height.

With hex cores, it is not recommended either way to crimp the ends before cutting, but I do it with all my strings. Lastly, they could just be inferior.

tindrum and FRoss6788 like this.
  12. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    Scottsdale, AZ
    I’ve never experienced anything bad with a variety of DR strings over the past 20 years. I wouldn’t try to save some bucks on strings.

13. bass12

bass12 Have You Met Grace Jones? Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    I've been using DRs for, I don't know, twelve years or so? The only issue I ever had was with a G string that wouldn't intonate properly. I contacted DR and they sent a replacement right away.

mrperkolator, tindrum and FRoss6788 like this.
  14. factory presets

factory presets

Mar 3, 2020
    You can stop windings separating by putting aright angle bend in your strings with a pair of pliers near where you cut them off. Aim to bend where the string comes out the hole in the middle of the tuners for a nice tidy look.

If that doesn't work, stop strings going dead overnight by telling the poison dwarf that comes asking that Rumblestiltstring is his name.

15. kgbeast

kgbeast

Jan 19, 2023
    By the way, I did not buy these to save money, it a thing I have, to evaluate what is available. I have come across Chinese strings that are on-par if not better sounding than likes of SIT Foundations, D'A XL, etc. However, the strings are counterfeit brand. So I do not want to say what they are. The strings however are Chinese and that means someone there makes great strings that not only sound great but also last as long as the above mentioned. Because the set ion one of the basses for few months and sounds great. During that time, I had D'A XL died and a set of rotosounds. I am not suggesting anyone use Chinese strings, but this is an international forum and we have hundreds of users that can not spend $20-$30 on a set that lasts only a month or so. Lots of students and so forth. So do not look at this from that elevated point of view of a middle class American who does not want to save money on strings.
    And look now we have some posts about twisted strings, witness points, end crimping, atc. All that is good info. This is why we have the forums Now some people know that Shuffle EB4-105 can be a risk.

Kubicki Fan and tindrum like this.
  16. mrcbass

mrcbass

Jan 14, 2016
    Sacramento, CA
    I've never encountered that severe of a a drop off that quickly. I gotta believe there is gonna be some quality control issues with something this cheap.

17. kgbeast

kgbeast

Jan 19, 2023
    I put one back in and while I think it regain a bit of life, it is pretty well dead still. Maybe it magnetized or something... It looks totally fine, the core in it looks like a microscopic Allen key, it is more perfect than in some of the USA made strings. Windings ard tight and made out of round wire (not oval or whatever). The strings is softer to bend than the USA ones... I am just curious what exactly went on it. I do not think it stretched out because it was still relatively in tune when I found this.
    I wonder now when people say that strings go dead because skin oils and other gunk clogs the windings... Now I doubt the accuracy of that assumption.

18. I only once had a string's outer wrap separate from the core. It was a G-string and it was noticeable immediately. It was a long long time ago, is I returned it to the store and they gave me a replacement.

19. Thegreatzambini

Thegreatzambini

Aug 25, 2022
    Dude, these are $8 strings. Why are we even having this discussion?

20. logdrum

logdrum A person! Supporting Member

I blame the US Marshalls compromising the identities of these witnesses. Now they are dead.