1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

strings won't fit aaaargh!!!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by williamk, Jul 29, 2012.

1. williamk

williamk

Apr 2, 2008
    so I bought lo-riders today and when I got home to put them on my dano
    '63, the E string wouldn't fit in the nut...

I'll put them on another bass, but needless to say that I was pissed. Anyone knows strings that will fit on a dano other than the stock strings (I don't know what these are btw...)? Hopefully a set of strings that have the same tension and "slappy-ness" as the lo-riders?
    thanks!

ps: or can I "force" the lo-riders to fit in any way...?

2. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    Sounds like you got the wrong gauge.

3. File the nut?

4. williamk

williamk

Apr 2, 2008
    wow I'm so stupid...:eek:

5. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    What gauge did you get? Can't imagine a properly designed bass not working with standard strings.

6. williamk

williamk

Apr 2, 2008
    50-110

7. williamk

williamk

Apr 2, 2008
    standard is 45, right...?

8. George Mann

George Mann Banned

May 27, 2012
    Colorado
    Your E-string is the most obvious problem. .110 is too big for an instrument whose nut is cut for a lighter gauge of string.

Try a set of .45 - .65 - .80 - .100.

9. trowaclown

trowaclown

Feb 26, 2008
    Wow. 4 responses and only 1 guy suggested filing the nut?

williamk the most obvious solution is to cut the nut slot so that it fits the string! If you're doing it yourself make sure you get the witness point right though. The string should be sitting comfortably in the nut slot, with the break point at the side of the nut right next to the fretboard. Intonation should be correct if that's the case.

If you're uncertain, bring it to a tech! I can't imagine it costing more than $5 for a properly slotted nut. The tech can probably go through the rest of your strings as well, to make sure that they're properly seated.

10. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

Danos have a metal nut so filing isn't the obvious solution.
    It is better to stay at 40-100 with Longhorn, especially to keep up a decent intonation if they have a fixed bridge.

11. trowaclown

trowaclown

Feb 26, 2008
    Ahhhh. I stand corrected. Sorry! :bag:

12. loopee

loopee Supporting Member

May 12, 2009
    Surrey, B.C. Canada
    +1

13. Smilodon

Smilodon Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Norway
    Filing the nut isn't really a solution as the heavier gauge strings will alter the tension. If OP want the same tension as before the best bet is to get the same gauge on the new strings as well.

14. alec

alec

Feb 13, 2000
    Perth, Australia
    A different tension is easily accommodated for with a setup on the bass.

15. dogofgod

dogofgod

Dec 24, 2009
    No worries. Take a tie from a bag of bread and place between the string and the nut. Push the string into the groove and wrap the tie around the string. Whalaa. Now you can use any gauge and have as much tension as you want, for free :)

16. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    Dano63-close.

If this is the bass you have more options than the longhorn 'acoustic guitar style' saddle... I'd still be worried about tuning to concert pitch with a set of .50's... But I don't own a dano - they're necks could be amazing for all I know.

Only file the nut slots just enough... If you decide to do that... It takes surprisingly little with the right tool. Apparently welding torch cleaning files do a good job and cost less than nut files:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRjNazS8GfKEh01p3PTakXaCBVR497i1oPo6Q8gp9o-uJzDr5A7XCkLkucj.

From here: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/essex-bass-club-part-9-a-620674/index14.html

EDIT: Oh dear. I can see saddle height adjustment... but not string length... at least not in this view.

17. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    danelectro-chevalet-reglable-adjustable-bridge-14208.

Close... Any owners to confirm the 4 string '63 can be adjusted similarly? (intonation).

Is this the same version as our OP??? :confused:

18. Smilodon

Smilodon Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Norway
    Nope. You can adjust to compensate for the effects of the higher tension from the strings, but not adjust the actual tension. (As in, you can adjust neck bow and intonation, but the tension of the strings is still the same so they will feel stiffer to play)

Well, actually, you can adjust tension, but the bass won't be in tune anymore. ;)

19. JEBassman

JEBassman Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2008
    Connecticut
    I use a similar gauge set on my Hofner Icon (.042 .056 .069 .093). I did try a heavier gauge and learned that the E string couldn't get through the tuning peg hole. By going to a lighter gauge, and cutting off the end of the E string, I was able to get the E and other strings threaded.

One problem with filing the nut is that your next set of strings would only be seated firmly if you repeat the heavier gauge. IMO I'd prefer to keep the nut at its original width and find strings that fit the instrument.

Good luck! :bassist:

20. williamk

williamk

Apr 2, 2008
    i don't get the whole "fill in the nut" advice...the strings doesn't fit in, not floats around in