Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stripped Screw!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by darkfish01, Apr 5, 2005.

1. darkfish01

darkfish01

Feb 11, 2005
    San Marcos, Tx
    In the midst of my installing strap locks onto my bass, the thread on the bass itself stripped! The screw just moves in and out freely, making playing with a strap impossible. What can I do to fix this? :crying:

2. I've heard you can fill it with toothpicks and or woodfiller and redrill out the hole to make it fit.

3. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    A golf tee works better.

4. Thinkin about that yea...that would work a whole lot better. Pretty easy fit I imagine. Good call.

5. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    A golf tee is too big.

The Toothpick idea works fine. You might have to use two in there for it to really grip. I swear I just answered this same question! ;)

6. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    Well, duh, you have to shave it down a bit. :p

7. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Dip toothpick (or two) in wood glue, insert in hole. Let dry overnight. Next day, snap off the excess, then just screw your screw back in.

Won't EVER slip out on you again. I've done it plenty of times on my instruments and bandmate's instruments, always works solidly.

8. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Actually, a 1/8" dowl rod is perfect, usually taps in perfect with a little rounding at one end and some good strong glue, and drills out very nicely. I've had this repair turn out much nicer for me than the toothpick method. Any hardware store has decent dowel rod that works great, as well.

9. darkfish01

darkfish01

Feb 11, 2005
    San Marcos, Tx
    Well, I went out to Home Depot, grabbed some wood filler, took a toothpick, snapped it in half, stuck it in there and filled the rest of the hole with wood filler, and now she's drying. I'll check back midday tomorrow and give yall a status report.

10. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Call a tech. They'll tell you to use toothpicks and woodglue.

Useless trivia: flat toothpicks weren't made for picking teeth, but rather as a less costly alternative to round picks for the food industry. They are made to hold sandwiches together.

11. As tplyons says, it's a viable fix, not just 'jerry rigging' or a quick fix. It's no worse than doweling and redrilling, I'd imagine it's better.

The idea is that you put the glue in, then the toothpicks. The glue and the toothpicks bond to the side of the existing hole, when you screw the screw in, it bites into the toothpicks that are bonded to the sides of the previous hole.

This isn't a temporary fix, without the glue, it's much more of a temporary fix.

12. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I've done the toothpick thing more than once. It works perfectly. Although, it was suggested to me, and I have done it this way, that you simply dip the toothpick in woodglue, stick it in the hole, break off the excess and immediately run the screw in while the glue is still wet. Let it set overnight, and it's in there as long as you want it to be.

13. i heard you can fill it up with epoxy :confused:
    jaco pastorius even screwed a new hole into his bass. :rollno:

14. The problem with this is that you'll glue the screw to either the sides or the toothpicks. What you're trying to do is give the screw bite into wood, not glue the screw in. The wood will bond with the glue, and the screw bites into the toothpicks that are bonded to the side. The glue will not bond as well to the screw. If you ever need to remove the screw you'll have a hard time with toothpick and glue stuck to your screw.

15. Problem with using the next size larger screw is the size of the head fitting into the straplock end. Unless you're talking about filing that down, or drilling out the straplock end. A lot of unecessary work.