Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Structured learning for a newbie

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by gcano, Feb 24, 2005.

1. gcano

gcano

Jan 19, 2005
    On 1/2/05 I began playing my first musical instrument (the bass) with no previous experience or knowledge of anything musical (other than listening). I began self-teaching with the aid of Bass Guitar for Dummies. I have made decent progress with scales, modes, chords, and arpeggios, but now I seem to have stalled due to lack of new material and direction.

I do not know how to start playing music or how to find additional exercises that will expand my knowledge. I guess I am looking for structure that if followed in a dedicated manner may lead to me being a proficient player. The discipline exists as I have been practicing an hour each night since starting.

I have taken lessons from two different teachers, but frankly they were an expensive waste of time. They had no plan and were incapable of providing enough structure for my particular learning preferences. I have given up on the idea of finding a teacher.

Any thoughts on finding a practice routine for my level that challenges and begins to expose me to actual music. Ideally, I would have a practice routine that focused on technique, time keeping, ear training, and playing music. That may be a bit basic, but it is where I stand two months into this process. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.