1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Strurnal 50/1 bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Gretch2r, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Gretch2r

Gretch2r

Feb 24, 2013
  2. I had a 50/4, which is the next bass up the line. It had an ebony fingerboard, which the 50/1 does not have, and which you will want. A 50/4 with a decent replacement endpin and a good setup should serve you very well.

If you have the option, buy from a local luthier. The after-sale service should be worlds better than buying from a mail-order outfit. A good relationship with a local luthier is invaluable when stupid little problems come up, which they always seem to do.

3. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    Welcome! :)I think you'd be helped immensely by starting right here. Several of the regulars around here contributed to the wiki. It provides comprehensive answers to many of the most commonly asked questions. Reading it will also get you to the answers much faster than the back and forth of a thread. So, dive in and c'mon back with targeted questions. We're here to help.

As for the bass to which you linked, the wisest move is to buy a bass from a real bass shop with real luthiers and not from a mass-merchant or guitar store. You'll find that advice within the wiki.

Happy reading.

4. bassailor

bassailor

Feb 1, 2012
    italy
    my bass is an old strunal very similar to the 50/1, upgraded with a new real ebony fingerboard, tuning gear and bridge.
    it sounds good to me, not the most amazing tone on earth for sure, but an honest one if properly setup. best thing of this bass, it's very well built ,strong and sturdy, a good smack-it-around instrument, no problems with weather, climate changings or drunk people at the bar where you're playing.