1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Stuart Zender Envelope

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by FiveSixTeen, Oct 5, 2019.

1. FiveSixTeen

FiveSixTeen

Dec 29, 2018
    What envelope filter would get me the closest to this sound?

I know he uses an old boss multi effects pedal, but those are quite rare and expensive nowadays.

2. BassIsFun17

BassIsFun17

Jan 16, 2006
    Atlanta
    my guess is its probably a Mu-Tron

I think the Aguilar Filter Twin or the MXR Bass Envelope Filter will get you close to that sound.

3. Kawai2g4b

Kawai2g4b

Oct 7, 2018
    Any of the Source Audio bass envelope filters will be on point. You can find used ones at reasonable prices. Plus, the Soundblox Pro line will give you a graphic EQ to mate up with the filters.

4. thabassmon

thabassmon

Sep 26, 2013
    New Zealand
    I think I read in a '97 interview in Bass player magazine that he used a DigiTech multieffect.

A Source Audio C4/Spectrum should get you close.

5. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    EHX Q-Balls can certainly get that sound.

6. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Sadly, I can tell you that Zender's own signature ashdown pedal did not cut it. The Funk Face, basically a Bassballs with a separate footswitch for the distortion part, which both uses a real tube and can be put before or after the filter in the chain, which i thought would be awesome. But the filters themselves are just at too high a frequency, and don't do an appreciable amount of mangling your bass at all. Ashdown told me there is no way to adjust either, the way one would a bassballs via the trimpots. Bummer for a $250 pedal that looks like it'd be just what the doc ordered.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 26, 2020