1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Studio Condenser Valve Mic

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Correlli, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    anyone here have experience with a studio condenser valve microphones?
    What brand or model would you recommend?

Price range that I'm interested in, would be between $500 and $1000.

Cheers.

2. rossM

rossM

Jun 27, 2005
    sydney australia
    What do you want to use it for ? -I have a studioprojects tb 1--It is good value valve mic About $470Aust -designed in US made in china - comes with its own power supply - so if you dont have phantom power its ok. I have used it on double bass , brass & vox( M&F)-If you are interested I can post some mp3s of it on db vox & brass - It is quite sensitive so do have to be prepared for the fact that it will pick up the other instruments - but that is so for any condenser.

3. Mojave Audio MA-200. About $1000, but well worth it! Blows anything in it's price range and maybe a little higher out of the water.
    Mitch

4. Le Basseur

Le Basseur

Mar 26, 2002
    Croatia
    +1 on StudioProjects TB1.Great bang for the buck.
    However,you'd might tell us what are your intended applications for such a mic.There's a wide variety of condenser mics out there (small diaphragm,large diafphragm,tube,FET,etc) and each category excells in a certain app domain.
    Regards,

5. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    I intend to use the tube mic for recording vox and acoustic intstruments.

I have heard good things about the TB1. Will check the MA200 as well.

Cheers.

6. We have a Rode NTK up at the college, and it sounds INCREDIBLE on acoustic guitars, and great with vocals. We don't use it alot, though, because the power supply we have for it makes noise.

Groove Tubes also makes some really nice tube mics. I've never used them myself, but I've heard good things.

Rock on
    Eric

7. dalley

dalley

Jul 6, 2005
    Phoenix
    Audio-Technica 4060 is a good choice ... cardioid only though