1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Studly 8-string conversion

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by cornfarmer, Sep 11, 2008.

1. cornfarmer

cornfarmer jam econo

May 14, 2002
    here's an Ampeg Little Stud bass i converted over to 8-string over the last couple of weeks. it didn't turn out too bad. :hyper: the neck is actually wide enough to accommodate the extra strings, and the body is heavy enough that it balances pretty good.

what i learned:

1) bone nuts are not the easiest to work with, my first attempt cracked and shattered after i was almost done filing it. the string spacing on it wasn't right anyway, so no big loss there. i went with a tusq nut after that and it was way more forgiving.

2) check your string spacing before making notches in the bridge saddles. i had to squeeze an extra notch on the octave string saddles because putting them smack in the middle would've put too much gap between the strings.

3) one of those string spacing rulers from StewMac might have been a help when filing the nut, i'm not 100% satisfied with the spacing but i can live with it.

4) check string clearance - bass strings go on first, octave strings last. my D octave string snapped because it was snagging and binding underneath the D bass string winding.

5) measure 100 times, drill once when adding holes to your headstock :D

PHOTOS:

the bass as i got it (cheapo ebay score)
    2848623205_35caf63201_o.

took off the ashtrays, and ooooooh, what's this? EMG! and crappy 2 saddle bridge, boooo :scowl:
    2849455184_306b90555a_o.

old school?
    2849455278_c27054847b_o.

headstock prepped for new holes
    2849455376_93bc38c5e2_o.

new schaller bridge
    2849455452_71f15c0c75_o.

new nut (the 2nd attempt) and stringed up
    2849455640_448195aabc_o.

final result, with plastic surgery band-aid
    2849455716_f5dab4699f_o.

2. please post sound clips! I'd love to hear this beast growl!

3. Georynn

Georynn

Dec 4, 2007
    Memphis,Tn
    What ^ he said!
    Looks great... but how's it sound?

4. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Woah, thats badass!

5. That looks sweet, agreed we need some sound clips.

6. cornfarmer

cornfarmer jam econo

May 14, 2002
    thanks guys :)

7. arent the bass strings usually on the left, looking at the bass standing up like in the pictures?

awesome though, I dig it either way

8. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Nope, he has it the standard way, Rickenbacker used to do 'em on the opposite side.

9. Herrlster

Herrlster

Oct 27, 2004
    Ontario, Canada
    Man thats a beauty, I was wondering what an 8 string P-bass would look like.

10. Wow. What a great conversion. I've always been interested in hearing sound clips of one of these, and learning what applications it would have.
    The bass itself looks pretty good too!

11. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    Nice job, Harvey! For that, you get to be #22 in the Official TB 8-string bass club.