Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stuff to do in Houston?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Sonorous, Oct 3, 2005.

1. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Because of Rita, I have temporarily relocated to Houston. I've always lived close to Houston, but never bothered to visit much.

What should I go do? Keep in mind I'm 17.

EDIT: I'm in the NW part of Houston in a place called Jersesy Village off of 290.

2. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Well, for openers, there's a GC over on I-45, just south of mile marker 66 (about 5 miles south of Spring). :D Found that one quick while I was working over there recently.

Large bulletin board near the restrooms with lots of "players wanted" ads......

3. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    Jersey village is right by me, We could do a bass jam if you've got your gear. Otherwise, I suggest finding Fuller's Vintage Guitar. Its a great shop but rather far away

4. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Oddly enough, I just went by Fuller's about two hours ago. I liked what I saw/played. Wish I had the money for that Sunn300 head they have.

I have one of my basses with me, but didn't bring an amp.

5. FireBug

FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    Houston
    My friend's friend's dad owns Fullers. Ok so I guess that's not really a connection and I am not important. Anyway...

Rockin Robin's was voted to have the best bass room in Texas in 2004. Bergs, Genz Benz, EBS, Eden, Aguilar, Ashdown, Mike Lull, Spector, Zon...etc.

The place is amazing. When you go in, be sure to look up (notice the manican leg guitar).

Oh, and they also have a small surf shop and accept musical gear trades for boards and vice versa.

How much was that Sunn??

6. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Rockin Robins is that good then? My dad told me about it, but said every time he goes he is never impressed with the selection. He's a blues guitar player though, so I guess I'll check it out anyway.

I think the Sunn was something like $1200. I don't remember exactly.

7. I work over at Space Center Houston. Possibly one of the worst tourist attractions ever (even huge fans of space generally leave disappointed), but if you're wanting to waste some time/cash I'll give you the best nasa tour you'll ever see! :D Though admittedly, the new traveling exhibit we have here is pretty badass (just added yesterday). It's just south of the beltway on I-45 in the clear lake area.

Lots of small venues in the area to catch live acts...Engine Room, Numbers, Fat Cat's, Walter's On Washington, Fitzgeralds, Fuel Cyber Cafe, Java Jazz. Just google any of them for their website or just pm me. Doesn't matter what music you're into, there's always somebody to see - usually.

Like coffee? Check out the Agora coffee shop in downtown (on Westheimer, I think). Very cool place to go - kind of attracts some strange hipster burnout people though.

I'm on the opposite side of Houston (east-southeast of town), so I can't comment on the Jersey Village area...not around there much. (Deer Park, for those of you who know the area well. Next to Pasadena).

There's no zoning laws in Houston (largest city in the U.S. without them), so everything is generally scattered out, with exception to the Theatre "district" and museum "district" ...both of which are pretty cool, btw.

8. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    My band is playing on Oct. 22 at Wired Internet Cafe. You should
    come to that too, Sonorous. ;)

There's no zoning laws in Houston (largest city in the U.S. without them), so everything is generally scattered out, with exception to the Theatre "district" and museum "district" ...both of which are pretty cool, btw.[/QUOTE]

9. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Actually, I've been to the Space Center. It was probably like 10 years ago or so.

I was looking for some cool shows to go to earlier. I found one at Walter's I want to go to on Thursday. Not sure if it's all ages or not though... I emailed them to see.

Nettor, I'll probably be back home by then... I might even be there this Thursday (Though not permanently returned) which would screw up the plans for the show that night. If I'm not home on the 22nd, I'll be watching a band called Drop Trio play at the Cezanne. Sorry to disapoint. Check out Drop Trio though, they're a great Houston based band.

10. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Anyone know if the Helios is an all ages place? I found the website, but couldn't find anything about it.

11. I haven't been there, but as a general rule of thumb in Houston - unless it specifically says it's 18+ or 21+ - it's all ages. You might have to pay an extra cover though, since you won't be drinking any booze (that's what the Engine Room does, for example).

12. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Eh? Their bass selection doesn't hold a candle to Bass Emporium in Austin. I've heard that Larry Morgan in Dallas has a very nice selection as well.

brad cook

13. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Unfortunately the best club that Houston ever had, Goat's Head Soup, blew up back in '94 or '95...literally. There were whisperings of mob involvement. That club had the most incredible and consistent bookings of any club I've ever seen. Lots of national underground acts constantly coming through there and it was a dinky old place. I went to Fitzgerald's a lot in high school too. Also, that place that was once called The Vatican and then was called The Abyss used to have a lot of good bands through there ranging from locals to Primus, Gwar and The Dead Milkmen. I'm sure it's called something else now.

brad cook

14. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Sono,

If you're a museums kinda guy like me then be sure and check out the Houston Museum of Natural Science and the Museum of Fine Arts. I always enjoy those places...especially the former. I also used to like to hit up the record stores around Westheimer for obscure stuff. Of course in Houston you can shop for whatever until you're blue in the face. Enjoy as many of the restaurants as you can while you're there. If you're ever over on Westheimer outside of the loop stop by Chacho's for some good, cheap and quick mexican food (I assume it's still good...it's been years). It looks kinda like Taco Cabana inside but is WAY better.

brad cook

15. The Vatican/The Abyss is now owned by some small business, last I've heard. A quick google search tells me they stopped making money and were forced to close shop. I was only a kid when it closed, so I've never actually been there.

Oh, and in case you didn't know, Mary Jane's is now known as Fat Cat's. Been that way for a few years now, but I don't know how long it's been since you've been to Houston.

Fitz has been quite strange as of late - for a few months the owners swore off all punk and metal bands from playing there (majority of their acts) so they could attract an older audience. Now they seem to book some of them again, but only the ones who bring a loads of people.

16. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Thanks for all of the help, guys.

17. When I was there in May, I believe the Museum of Fine Arts has free admission thursdays.

18. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    I went to Rockin Robin's today, and I was lucky enough to catch Mark White of the Spin Doctors there as well as fellow TBer FCM3.

Mark was there to give lessons, but was there early to beat traffic, so we talked/played for something like 1 or 1 1/2 hours before FCM3 showed up for his lesson. Mark is a really cool guy. He showed me a lot of things I was doing wrong with my technique and suggested ways to fix them and ways to practice. I think that I forgot to thank him when I was leaving. :/

Oh yeah... I tried some basses too. A 5-string Cirrus, a 5-string Skjold, 5-string Czech made Spector, and a 4-string Korean made Spector.

The Czech Spector killed the Cirrus and the Skjold, and the Skjold was $1000 more. The Korean Spector kicked ass as well... as soon as things return to normal and I'm back at my job I'll probably save up to buy one.

19. FireBug

FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    Houston
    What amps/cabs did you play through there?

20. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    An Eden CXC210 comob and also an Ashdown ABM EVO 300 paired with a Bergantino cab. I don't remember exactly what cab, I think it was either an HT322 (2x10 and 1x12) or an NV425 (3x10 and 1x15).

The Eden was clean and the lows weren't bad. The Ashdown/Berg was fantastic. The Spectors sound absolutley huge through it, yet weren't muddy or unclear. The valve drive knob on the Ashdown didn't really do anything though. I wasn't playing that loud so the input knob wasn't up very much, so maybe thats why.