1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

sub-400 combo choices

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RikiTiki2, Sep 23, 2008.

1. RikiTiki2

RikiTiki2

Oct 31, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Ahoy!

I'm currently ampless and looking to get something that'll last me a while. I'm not in a band at the moment, but who knows what the future holds.

Anyway, I'm thinking about an acoustic b200 (or b100) combo, but I'm a little wary since they don't have much of a track record yet as far as long term reliability goes. But I've come across an older Fender bassman 100 with the 15 inch at a local vintage guitar store for $250, and it'd be nice to support local business. However, it's obviously out of warranty. Seems to work fine though.

So I'm between those two, not to mention some other options that might pop up. I have tried many ampeg ba-115's and they all seem to have an annoying hiss that I don't like at all.

2. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    don't forget yorkville/traynor amps... (they are sister companies now passing the bass amp torch to traynor...)

yorkville xm200 series supports extention cab.

newer traynor DB200 is similar...

yorkville bm200 is about 2000 model with extension cab output

3. RikiTiki2

RikiTiki2

Oct 31, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    thanks for the suggestion. i did briefly consider yorkville, since it gets praise round here, but i like to be able to hear it before i buy it, and i couldn't find a yorkville locally to just sit down with.

anyway, I wound up snagging a Fender Bassman 400 (the one before the 400 Pro) from the vintage shop for a measly $300! nuts that they were selling it for so low, but the owner said he got it for cheap in a trade so he was just passing along the savings

this thing has far more balls than i know what to do with it's awesome :D