1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sub bass effect...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Erad, Aug 18, 2012.

1. Erad

Erad

Aug 2, 2012
    Hey everyone...

Lately I've been getting into the Dubstep bass wobbles and my girlfriend and I started recording together... She's into making electronic/pop-type music (example of the genre here: http://youtu.be/mGqMg2rleD8 )
    So naturally I am trying to find how to get the tone that matches this style of music.

I've recently gotten the Soundblox BEF Pro and hothand for the wobbles. And right now I only have my old Boss DS1 for distortion. So needless to say, I'm missing my lowend.

so that's where I need everyone's help. What pedal will give me the low, almost sub-bass type sound that I'm looking for?

I plan to get one of the 3 soundblox MWBD pedals to replace my DS-1, but I'm pretty sure I need something else for more sub bass tones.

Do I need Synth? Reverb? Octave down? a mix of the three?

Thanks for all the help in advance!:hyper:

2. Octave down is a good choice. I've heard the Meatbox is a nice one aling with the OC2. You probably wouldn't want a pitch shifter for octave down; the analog oscillator gives a fat tone.

Bass-heavy fuzz is also a good idea. Preferably a synthy square wave type. The Woolly Mammoth or Mastotron are heavy ones. I've heard the MXR Blowtorch gets that too.

Some of the synth pedals are cool, but a lot of them go for the 80s style synth, which is less fat and dubby.

I would also suggest using a splitter and running two or three fuzzes in parallel to get a detuned oscillator type tone. A wide chorus or detune pedal (like the Polytope) would also get a similar effect.

Hope this helps. Also, there's a thread on dubstep sounds floating around somewhere. I suggest searching for it as it is a treasure trove of info. Good luck!

3. Erad

Erad

Aug 2, 2012
    Thanks a lot! I'll have to check out that thread and see what I can dig up.:bassist:

4. Kobaia

Kobaia

Oct 29, 2005
    Denton TX
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amp Gruv Gear and Mono Cases
    My sub bass pedal is the meatbox. With the right settings it'll sound massive, synths, and separate from your main signal.

5. And actual subwoofers.

6. Or a fEARful cab.

I just posted a video of the MXR BOD sounds, I think it gets pretty subby.

Check it if you'd like.

7. Erad

Erad

Aug 2, 2012
    I can't decide which octaver to get. MXR, OC-2, OC-3, use the octaver on the Digitech bass synth wah? I hear good and bad things about all of them.

8. JonnyAngle

JonnyAngle Dropping Acid Pedal Etching .com Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Maple Grove, MN
    DroppingAcidPedalEtching.com
    Or you could get an envelope filter and play below the threshold

9. Unfortunately it does all come down to a matter of taste and how a pedal interacts with the rest of your rig - bass, amp, and other pedals. I would add the EBS OctaBass as a potential candidate. Start with the one you can get most cheaply, which is probably the BSW.

10. bluesmandan

bluesmandan

Aug 17, 2011
    I was looking at getting some octave pedals for my bass, and watched lots of youtubes on them all, and read reviews. I decided to give my HD500 a try. It does have a nice Ampeg B15 amp model in it.

So I tried it with the octave down effect and... wow, it tracked really well. And you can adjust every parameter on it, and even assign the various parameters to the expression pedals for adjusting the mix or whatever. It sounded as good as all the youtubes of the octabass and octamizer and mxr that I'd heard. I was pleasantly surprised. The HD500 will do so much.

11. Erad

Erad

Aug 2, 2012
    So I think I've decided on the OC-3 as my octaver... I almost bought a EBS Octabass, but I feel like I get more functionality out of the OC-3.

Now I'm trying to decide on a Synth. I hear good and bad things about both the Syb-5 and the Digitech BSW. and I like the tones that I've heard in demos. I think I've ruled out the Berhinger BSY-600 due to some issues I've heard about mechanically.

And now a big one, I am wanting a compressor. but I know nothing about compressors!

12. Does the BEF Pro have some onboard EQ? Boost the bass. You probably won't get the wobble all the way down into the lows, but at least you can have some meat

13. Erad

Erad

Aug 2, 2012
    Indeed it does, and yeah I've done that. it works pretty well, but you can tell it is still missing something.