1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sub Bass FX

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by mao, Nov 4, 2006.

1. mao

mao

Nov 3, 2006
    Hi,

I would like to know if there is a stomp or rack FX giving you that low sinewave normally added with analog synth, giving the low deep bass used on some dub, electro-reggae and so on. I'm not speaking about "standard" synth bass like the squelchy Boss SYB but something near a low and deep synth octaver. I mean something that is finger driven but synthetic and deep.

thanks in advance

2. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Yes, there are several options. Ashdown, Ampeg, dbx, DOD, Moog, many others. My favorite rack unit is the dbx 120A, and my favorite pedal is the original DOD FX25. But I really want to try the Ampeg.

3. mao

mao

Nov 3, 2006
    hey thanx ! never know about the dbx120a !

but isn't the DOD FX25 a wahwah?

Subharmonic synthesis is probably what I'm looking for ... more then Envelope follower... I'm not a funky fan. I'll give the bx a try... thanks.

4. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    If you set the FX25 sensitivity control to "off", the pedal acts as an analog subharmonic synth. It actually does that better than it does the envelope follower!

5. mao

mao

Nov 3, 2006
    I'm looking for this DOD FX25 and seems that there are more versions of it...DOD FX25, DOD FX25B, DOD GFX25, are all of that useful to have the subharmonic synth ?

damn... another toy to buy ... :mad: hey it's cheap...:hyper:

6. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Inactive

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    +1 on the DOD. Someone on here did a sample of the FX25B set for dub, and I was quite impressed.

7. mao

mao

Nov 3, 2006
    Is this sample still available?

8. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Go with the original FX25, it sounds awesome and they show up on Ebay for around $25 all the time.

9. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    the behringer ultrabass rack unit might be worth considering... ive also seen the Alesis "GRAB" unit on ebay before, dont know much about it tho...

10. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Are you guys sure the FX25 is generating a sub-octave? I thought setting sensitivity to off just gave it a dubbish eq.

The DOD Meat Box is the pedal from them that generates subharmonics. It's ok, but the Furman Punch 10 is my favorite rack subharmonic synth. I saw a band last night where the bassist used the subharmonic built into his Ampeg, it sounded pretty good. It works best as a subtle enhancement, don't use too much!

The Alesis is called GRIP, the one I bought had one bad channel, the other sounded decent.

11. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Inactive

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
  12. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Nov 12, 2005
    Palo Alto, CA
  13. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Inactive

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    +1. And I have the Sub Dub amp on the POD!!!! :oops:

14. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    the DOD is great if you want something simple, cheap, entirely workable, and in pedal form.

15. Yay! My crappy sample lives on! :D

16. Im not sure about a rack unit, but the BX1200 amp that I used to own had an Ultrabass setting on it. It was pretty bizarre to say the least...

17. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    yeah i have the bx1200 as well, i quite like the ultrabass on it.

18. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    isn't that the one they cloned from the Ashdown MAG series?

19. jucas

jucas

Dec 14, 2003
    Alberta
    Wow... definately wouldn't call that crappy.

If you'll all excuse the stupid question, the subharmonic thing is basically adding a tone down an octave to what you are playing, but not adding it as a separate note? I'm a little unclear as to the exact difference from an octaver. Does this avoid somehow tracking issues and whatnot or is it the same thing with polyphonic units being way pricier?

Thanks for tolerating my lack of knowledge.

20. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    There's a few different ways to look at a single note. A single plucked bass note (or piano, gtr, etc.) may contain the octave above and below the fundamental, as well as many other frequencies. So some people/fx get their "subharmonic" tones by emphasizing the octave-below harmonic that is already there. Some get it by "reading" the incoming fundamental frequency and mathematically dividing it in half in order to put out a new fundamental tone an octave below. Some get it by using a self-resonant lowpass filter which, when resonating, puts out its own tones- the pitch of those tones is controlled by the "cutoff" of the filter.

The FX25 uses a bit of the first and third methods "by accident". It is a lowpass filter. It does resonate some, but not to the point where it is a pure oscillator. At the point where the Sensitivity control is off, the frequencies emphasized by the filter happen to be the subharmonics of the incoming note. And the filter is also resonant at those frequencies, so you get a combination of the original subharmonics and the "synthesized" frequencies of the resonant filter.

At least, that's how I think it works its magic. Anyone else care to weigh in?

That method does completely avoid tracking issues, because tracking is exclusively a process of digital processing and digital note generation. Typically, a digital unit will "read" every incoming frequency, try to identify it, and then create a new output signal, and that's where the tracking problems occur.