1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sub Processors, Pro Plate Amps?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by 4-stringB, Oct 9, 2013.

1. 4-stringB

4-stringB

Jun 10, 2010
    Tallahassee
    I'm looking at adding a sub to a full range PA setup. Our powered board has a sub-out, so I need to know if there are sub signal processors? Are they even necessary? I've also seen plate sub amps. Does anyone make pro grade plates? These plates appear to have some mixing, phase control, x-over freq, etc. Just no pro connectors, or other features.And some of these plates can't run at full duty cycle ( some stated 30% duty cycle !). Any thoughts?

2. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    JOOC, what mixer are you using? I don't use a sub-out but I do use a DriveRack PA which has the desired crossover and a host of other tools. A conventional Crown Drivecore works fine for power...for me, anyway.

Riis

3. bbe do a sub woofer processor and a digital speaker management unit too

4. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    diagram. http://www.minidsp.com/products/plate-amplifiers/pwr-ice125

These guys make this very flexible one for $275
    Or they have high powered expensive ones.
    You can program the DSP for your needs

But, a Power amp with DSP can be found just a cheap these days. And are very light.

Signal Processing like Waves MaxxBass actually involves the mids also to enhance the bass. The only power amps with MaxxBass in the DSP are the Crown and Peavey DSP models.

5. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Oh that is pretty dang cool!