1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Subtle effect pedals

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by lburton2, Jan 25, 2012.

1. lburton2

lburton2 Les Is More

May 15, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    My bass setup runs very transparent.. And I would just like to get a few different sounds out of it without tweaking the amp.. So I'm looking for a pedal or pedals that can achieve a vintage tone (round and thick like an old amped) and a scooped slap-pop sound. The latter will probably come from a colored compressor, but I don't know what one(s) to check out.

I had tried the mxr, and it was too transparent for my like.. Basically.. I'm looking for tone magic in a box

2. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    SansAmp makes some vintage-sounding stomp boxes. Start there. I have the Bass Driver DI.

I use an MXR compressor. Love it to pieces, but I wouldn't say that it's "colored." I find it very transparent, but excellent for squashing signal spikes when going from slap to finger style and back.

3. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    Barber Linden EQ for the vintage tone, maybe. You can achieve a mids scoop by boosting the highs and lows -- there is no mids control.

4. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    If you want to scoop your sound on the fly why not look at an EQ pedal instead?

5. scottfeldstein

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    That's a pretty good point.

6. lburton2

lburton2 Les Is More

May 15, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    I am actually considering an eq pedal. Maybe one with 2 or more presets would probably do the trick and then some.

7. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    Source Audio Programmable EQ.

8. scottfeldstein

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    Doesn't seem geared for bass frequencies so much as six-string.

9. Seymour Duncan makes a cool DI box with a switchable EQ and a Slap Contour. Could be hit or miss, but worth looking into.

10. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz! Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    I think the Diamond Bass Comp hits the 'magic tone in a box' checkbox pretty well.

11. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    There is a 7th frequency for the bass end accessible via Page Mode stuff.

12. kreider204

kreider204

Nov 29, 2008
    The Boss LMB-3 Bass limiter. Not only is the limiting good for slapping, it has an "enhance" knob, which is basically just a mid-scoop.

13. For that vintage tone, I'd second the Tech21 suggestion.
    Otherwise, I'd suggest you take a look at EHX's Analogizer. It's some sort of very short slap-back delay+overdrive. I love the way it sounds with a bass on the demo they have on their website, but haven't tried the actual pedal yet.
    For the scoop thing, an EQ should do the trick.

14. Systolic

Systolic Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Madison,Wisconsin
    Basically this. My vote is for the VT Bass Deluxe. Absolutely love mine.

15. lburton2

lburton2 Les Is More

May 15, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    I really want to try out the VT Bass Deluxe - And the Source Audio EQ - My only problem with the Source Audio being that it's completely digital.. However.. The VT takes up quite a big footprint...

16. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    Is your problem with digital one based on some sort of scientific analysis that proves the signal really is inferior to your old analog EQ...or based on the age-old idea that digital = sterile?

17. lburton2

lburton2 Les Is More

May 15, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    honestly -- the latter.

Does anyone have experience with both pedals to help compare between the two?

Also - How is it that you access the 7th Freq. in the Source Audio EQ?

18. lburton2

lburton2 Les Is More

May 15, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    From what I can read - the additional frequency is at 62hz.. And from my understanding, a Low E is around 41Hz, and the Low B at 31Hz.. So I don't think the Source Audio is really going to cut it for reaching down that low :/

19. scottfeldstein

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    I also have had the same thought: that the Source Audio programmable EQ isn't really geared for bass guitar frequencies. Although we're getting pretty esoteric here--my cabs can't even reproduce a fundamental of 31Hz.

20. CopperheadLXXIX

CopperheadLXXIX

Aug 9, 2003
    Jax, FL
    Most of what you hear from those very low notes is harmonics, not the fundamental. Few bass cabs can reproduce frequencies lower than 40hz. Boosting in that range is general just going to result in boomy, indistinct mud. If you want to hear the bass better, it's more beneficial usually to boost the high bass/low mids like say somewhere between 100-200hz.