1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Subway Rigs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gabeja15, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Living in New York City (Brooklyn, more specifically) and not owning a car has posed some interesting problems when it comes to piecing together an amp rig.

I'm one of the fortunate few who can store my amp in my apartment and have a (free!) place to practice with my new band. However, as gigs have begun to show up, finding a way to transport my gear to gigs on the subway has been... interesting.

As of now, i have a relatively small, if not light, stack consisting of a ceramic Avatar 2x10 and a Hartke LH500. I recently purchased one of these:

xxX1A.

for 29.99 at Home Depot along with maybe 20 bungee cords.

So between my Marcus Miller in a gig bag (11-12 lbs), pedal train Jr in a soft case (25 lbs), and my stack on the hand truck (100 lbs), I have my work cut out for me.

So how do the rest of you urban bassists cope with public transport?

2. Double G

Double G

Jan 27, 2012
    Jersey Shore
    Endorsing Artist: Euphonic Audio
    The Euphonic amp micro (550 watts) 2.7 pounds and the Euphonic dizzy 10 (17 pounds) all fits in the Euphonic back pack.
    I have it, I am an endorser. Not for heavy metal but have used it many times with a blues band with a drummer.

3. If I were to move back to Chicago with out a car, I would be looking for a transportable and capable rig. It would probably be something along the lines of:

GK MB800 or
    Genz Benz Streamliner-900

into a fEARful 12/6.

On a dolly like yours it would be a breeze to move.

4. Double G

Double G

Jan 27, 2012
    Jersey Shore
    Endorsing Artist: Euphonic Audio
    LOL.... WIZZY...

5. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Kansas City, MO
    I don't have the transportation issue the OP does. However if I did the first thing I would do is sell the Hartke head and get a much smaller and lighter one like the GK MB500 or the Ampeg PF350. Or switch the whole rig out for a powerful, lightweight combo amp.

6. See I would want to stay in the realm of micro head and cab. That way if I'm playing somewhere with provided back line, I could just bring my head if I want. My PF-500 is fairly large and heavy for a "Micro" but tossed in a back pack its no biggie.

7. bassfran

bassfran

Mar 1, 2012
    Chicago
    Endorsing artist: Lakland basses
    I'm getting ready to sell some old gear to purchase a micro head and am quite excited by this new Golden Age in bass amplification.

My current rig is a pretty small footprint (Bag End S15 cab, Kustom Charger head, Gramma pad) and I've used a similar cart for a long time. Easy cab or train trips for me but the next step in transport is a cargo trailer for my bicycle. :bassist:

8. ^ I agree with the whole micro head bit, It's definitely the direction i would take were i not broke.

Micro cabs, however, are simply not an option as I play in a 7-piece band with horns. a 1x10 or 1x12, even with 500 watts through it, is not going to cut it.

9. A fEARful 12/6 and a beefy enough micro will challenge a 410 for volume. Granted its not a standard 112 cab but any of the "super 12's" are going to out perform commercial cabs.

Baer ML-112
    Audiokinesis Thunderchild
    fEARful 12/6

10. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    I think Duke's Thunderchild 112 is designed for just this scenario. Can fit the rest of your stuff in a backpack.

11. theretheyare

theretheyare Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    Endorsing: Arkham Vacuum Tube Amplification
    Most stages in the city, have their own cabs, so just use those, and bring your own micro head. If you insist on bringing something big, you'll need a car - simple as that.

The home depot cart you show, I have one, tried that, and it didnt work. It's a terrible clumsy thing to drag up and down on stairs,which you'll be doing all the time in the subway (not to mention the 4th floor apt i live). The wheels want to fold spontaneously to the insde all the time, and it is a lot less sturdy than it looks. The problem is also that in the NY streets sidewalks are always sloped some way or another, pot holes galore, the thing is deeply unstable, heavy gear on it topples it continuously, and also securing it tighly on the cart is a real hassle.

IME the one cart that does work (with a mini-sized 1 speaker cab) and a GK MB200 in the gig bag pocket is this one from Kmart, believe it or not. http://www.kmart.com/trademark-tool...V003748227000P?prdNo=5&blockNo=5&blockType=G5

12. ShonenCello

ShonenCello

Sep 21, 2011
    I'm facing this problem also.

I'm thinking of finding someone with a van who will drop us off and then come back later to pick up.

The cost is just part of the operating expenses.

13. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I've had one of those folding carts for a couple of years and it works perfectly. Sounds like the poster above got a faulty one. I bought mine from Global Industrial - they offer a number of different models with different carry capacities. Here's a 150-pound unit: http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/m.../best-value-folding-hand-cart-150-lb-capacity

Hint: if the wheels don't want to fold in easily, shoot some silicone lube on the places where they pivot around the metal legs. Solves that problem quickly.

14. RenorCordic

RenorCordic

Nov 12, 2009
    Pittsburgh
    You're a trooper to transport on the subway. Props to you man! :bassist::bassist: Be safe! Get a cattle prod to ward off any undesirables.

15. a nice DI might be handy for gigs...not sure about practice, though