1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Subwoofer Design

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by ReMmy, Nov 7, 2010.

1. ReMmy

ReMmy

Jun 23, 2009
    Cd'A, ID
    Could someone explain the technical reasoning behind why some subs (usually active, it seems) have closed fronts with limited porting, as opposed to an unobscured arrangement like you see with most passive subs? Thanks!

2. ReMmy

ReMmy

Jun 23, 2009
    Cd'A, ID
    I'm mainly curious because I have a mackie srs1500 active sub, and wonder if I should get another of the same model, or get the swa1501 (one of each have come up cheap lately on CL). Might running the two different cab designs be a plus or a negative? Thanks!

RW

3. Dantreige

Dantreige

Oct 22, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Try to never mix different designs. You will need different eq to get even responce.

4. Hi.

Those are band-pass enclosures, nothing to do with 'em being active or passive.

Usually, running two identical subs can be troublesome without careful planning and/or processors, but I wouldn't mix different types of enclosures for any reason.

Regards
    Sam

5. ReMmy

ReMmy

Jun 23, 2009
    Cd'A, ID
    so i'm hearing that i shouldn't match one srs1500 with a swa1501, right? Even though the 1501 is the current version of the discontinued 1500?

6. modulusman

modulusman Banned

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    I have owned both and the 1501 sounded better IMO. The notes seamed more defined.

7. Gizmot

Gizmot

Mar 22, 2009
    Nashville area
    Placement and processing have a lot to do with overall performance. The question about whether you want sealed box or a vented box is a good one - a ported design can usually deliver more extended lows and lower distortion than a sealed box. However, a sealed box is a lot easier to design.