1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Subwoofer farting and shaking wires off sub

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Chase2000, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Chase2000

Chase2000

Mar 14, 2019
    I'm really not sure if this is the right place to post this so sorry in advance if it's not. Anyway I am quiet new to the whole sub scene being only 18 years of age so I dont exactly know what's going on with my speaker. Every time I flipped the amp on the speaker plays but it farts until the speaker finally sounds really bad and shuts off because the one of the wires unplug. Would a hole in the enclosure cause this? I'm patching it up and hoping for the best. I'm figuring the hole is letting in air that's moving the wires around causing them to fall out. My only real concern is that the farting isn't from the hole /: I've checked to see if it makes any noise when I press it down and it doesnt. It also isn't too easy or to hard to press. The outer edges of the speaker seem to be intact and not in the need of gluing either so I'm a bit lost as to what the problem is.

2. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Pictures necessary please. Are you talking about a hole in the speaker or a hole in the actual wood cabinet the speaker is mounted in?

3. Chase2000

Chase2000

Mar 14, 2019
    There's a hole in the enclosure I'm patching up. Originally when I pushed on the sub air would come out of the hole. It's where I screwed a nail in. I'll take a picture of it in a minute.

4. Chase2000

Chase2000

Mar 14, 2019

Here's a video of the problem

5. Sid the Kid

Sid the Kid Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Illinois
    Dude, we play big guitars. That is clearly a car subwoofer.

That said remove the sub and get some bathroom caulk and seal all of the screw holes from inside of the box. Seal any dang hole in there you see.

The sound could come from the woofer not being seated properly as well. While at the hardware store get some weatherproofing tape and run a layer of that around the mounting holes of the sub and re mount it. It should be sealed around the woofer as well.

If the sound is still there buy or build a new box. If the sound is still there buy a new sub. Any air escaping that shouldn’t be will sound like a clappy fart.

In 2003 I set an IL state record for spl. Bass can be addictive.

AlexanderB likes this.
  6. Chase2000

Chase2000

Mar 14, 2019

Here's a video of the speaker playing after I filled the hole

7. Chase2000

Chase2000

Mar 14, 2019
    I just uploaded another video. It show the problem. I sealed the holes. I think the sub is bad.

8. Sid the Kid

Sid the Kid Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Illinois
    Probably so. For inexpensive subs check out Dayton audio at www.parts-express.com. Most of their stuff is designed for home use, but some work well in smaller car sub boxes. It is a dangerous site for an audio hobbyist, but you had to find out somehow.

9. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    How are the wires connected to the speaker cabinet?

10. Chase2000

Chase2000

Mar 14, 2019
    Just a pinch-type-system. I don't think that's the problem. When my other speaker was unplugging it wasnt making the noise this one is.

11. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    I have no idea what you are describing. Are the wires coming off of the speaker???

JKos likes this.
  12. Chase2000

Chase2000

Mar 14, 2019
    The wires were coming off the speaker on the inside of the box.

13. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Then fix the terminals.

14. Chase2000

Chase2000

Mar 14, 2019
    I dont believe it was the terminals. I think the hole I patched in the box was the problem with the wires coming off. I would imagine the hole caused a lot of airflow into the box resulting in the wires coming off. What would happen if the two wires flopped terminals when they came off? Would it result in the speaker making the noise?

15. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    The hole in the box just adds insult to injury.

nbsipics likes this.
  16. nilorius

nilorius

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    The problem is that You have a bad speaker, forget about subwoofer.

17. PDGood

PDGood Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    If I understand correctly, it sounds like you're saying that air movement from a hole in the cabinet is causing the wires that should be attached to the speaker to come off. The wire connections to the speaker should not be able to come off by air movement. They should be fastened tighter than that. If they are loose in any way, that is one problem.

18. Chase2000

Chase2000

Mar 14, 2019
    Okay so the wires aren't a problem anymore. They were bending off due to the air movement. The speaker is continuing to make the noise. I assume the voice coil is dying. I'm just going to buy a new sub and be more careful next time.

19. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Very good. Please just be aware that air movement had nothing to do with your terminals coming off.

20. Chase2000

Chase2000

Mar 14, 2019
    What would it be then? It started right before I got the rattling?