1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SUF Green Russian vs WH Swollen Pickle

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JN8642, Dec 28, 2016.

1. JN8642

JN8642

Aug 19, 2015
    Mkay another Fuzz thread, don't hate me! :)

I've searched and haven't found any threads specifically comparing the two.

A lot of known bass players that I love use the pickle, I played one today at a store and liked it quite a bit. I've noticed it isn't well loved on here, but I've seen quite a bit of love for the Stomp Under Foot Green Russian, yet no bass sound clips minus some guitar demos.

I'm willing to jump on the SUF but I'd first rather hear why you like it more compared to the Pickle. Even if you only heard clips of the Pickle and owned a Green Russian, just pretty interested in hearing people's thoughts.

And to reduce the overflow of WHSP threads I hereby promise to not post another SP thread!

2. Tourniquet Man

Tourniquet Man

Jun 12, 2015
    I like the pickle. Haven't tried the green russian though

3. Driven Crane

Driven Crane

May 30, 2014
    Pickle just can do more. and it is strongly modified green muff.

4. JN8642

JN8642

Aug 19, 2015
    The pickle definitely sounds good, the SUF GR definitely is well spoken of, ughh decisions hahaha

5. Johnny Mac

Johnny Mac Riff-finder General Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2005
    Springfield, MA
    Pickle user here, haven't tried the SUF.

The Pickle can be difficult to dial in sometimes, and most bassists will need to open it up and adjust the internal trim pots to get it sounding good. It also doesn't really do "mild" fuzz sounds that well.

If you want something super-ballsy with tons of tweakability, though, it's very hard to go wrong with the Pickle. If you prefer something simpler, then you may prefer the Green Russian.

Driven Crane likes this.
  6. JN8642

JN8642

Aug 19, 2015
    From what I've read, the SUF GR is a better sounding Green Muff clone compared to the pickle(and to the W&C TFR as well)

Something about how the low end is more defined and the fuzz is crisper in the SUF GR. But like tootsie pops, the world may never know

7. Driven Crane

Driven Crane

May 30, 2014
    Low End? SP has it more than you may need - this is its minus.

8. Just jog them both on and get a Grand Tarkin ;)

9. JN8642

JN8642

Aug 19, 2015
    I've read that the GR has a more defined one, haha I definitely noticed the SPs low end

kakulino likes this.
  10. Driven Crane

Driven Crane

May 30, 2014
    then i would try Tall Font Russian...

11. JN8642

JN8642

Aug 19, 2015
    Is that because bubble font really doesn't have the necessary lows for bass?

12. nshuman

nshuman Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2012
    Montreal, Qc, Canada
    ccp
    If you want the SUF, get the Civil War instead. The civil unrest might be a good choice as well. If you want that sound but even better and more flexible, get the COG Grand Tarkin.

13. JN8642

JN8642

Aug 19, 2015
    My thing is I like the sound of green clones, civil wars are black Russian clones right?

14. nshuman

Sep 4, 2012
    Montreal, Qc, Canada
    ccp
    No, Civil Wars are Civil Wars clones, it's the ones that were in the same enclosures as the green ones but they were in the grey enclosures:
    CivilWarBigMuff.

15. JN8642

JN8642

Aug 19, 2015
    I'd probably stick with a green clone tbh

16. nshuman

Sep 4, 2012
    Montreal, Qc, Canada
    ccp
    The Civil Wars ones are usually more desirable on bass honestly. The Civil War SUF one if probably the best SUF Muff on bass. The COG Grand Tarkin is green based but can nail the Civil War sound as well with the mids adjustment.

17. taylor16

taylor16

Dec 25, 2012
    USA
    I have both the Stomp Under Foot Green Russian and the Civil War. Both sound like they are in the same "family" to me with the Civil War sounding "creamier" and more full and the Green Russian more low-mid "grindy" with a less-full but still excellent bass presence. Love both of them but have over the last week preferred the Green Russian for my needs.

18. JN8642

JN8642

Aug 19, 2015
    My needs are essentially adding an"oomph" to the mix when both guitars and bass are playing the same part together or when both guitars are playing clean on the higher strings so that Id bring back some of the grit while keeping the low end in tact

19. JN8642

JN8642

Aug 19, 2015
    Here's an example of when I'd use fuzz:

OddKnowledge likes this.
  20. JN8642

JN8642

Aug 19, 2015
    Still no luck on bass clips for the SUF GR but speaking of another green clone I listened to the EQD Cloven Hoof and that sounds pretty unreal