1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Suggested Basses for Metal Subgenres

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Legattabass, May 20, 2011.

1. Legattabass

Legattabass

Oct 21, 2010
    Maryland
    Howdy TB. Today, on a sunny spring Friday, I logged on to my favorite forum in the whole wide world and saw another "best bass for metal" thread, doomed to obscurity because it has become such a laughable forum meme. But I can't help but think that it's not the question itself which is laughable (though the posts and their posters often are!) but the assumption that out there, somewhere, there is a single suitable bass for the whole genre.

Metal, like most genres, is too subdivided and complex for one bass. So, how about the best basses for its subgenres?

In this thread, just copy-paste some of my categories below (feel free to add more, I'm starting small) and post what you think the best bass for that sub-genre is, and then, most importantly, post WHY below it. It is certainly worthwhile to include comments about how a specifc bass functions with a specific amp, pedal or playing style.

Death Metal:

Doom Metal:

Drone Metal:

Grindcore:

Metalcore:

Melodic Death Metal:

Nu Metal:

Post Metal:

Prog Metal:

Sludge Metal:

Stoner Metal:

Thrash Metal:

Note: Trolls are funny and all, but there are half a dozen other, less complex "bass for metal" threads that deserve your ... clever ... contributions. Contributions like "anything in black", the picture of the toilet seat bass, star-shaped basses, the description "pointy" and so forth. You certainly don't have to waste your valuable time here if the thread's proposed content doesn't interest you :)

2. ffutterman

ffutterman Talentless Bass Enthusiast

May 7, 2010
    Philadelphia
    washtub+bass.

3. Legattabass

Legattabass

Oct 21, 2010
    Maryland
    I fixed your mistake.

4. Strongjag

Strongjag

Aug 14, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Beards.
    Whatever you feel comfortable playing...

in black.

5. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    The black one.

6. Legattabass

Legattabass

Oct 21, 2010
    Maryland
    Would you say to a motown bassist "Whatever you feel comfortable playing .... with a tortoiseshell pickgaurd"? Each genre and subgenre has specific requirements and demands upon players and their gear. It's not all image and color. I don't care what color my instrument is and how many barbs and spikes it has. I want it to SOUND good. I hate the way BC. Rich looks. Please keep that in mind when and if you post, thanks.

7. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Would you be able to elaborate on the differences and unique features that separate each of the named metal subcategories?

8. ysand

ysand

Mar 26, 2005
    Athens/Greece
    The pointy one

9. Legattabass

Legattabass

Oct 21, 2010
    Maryland
    Yes, but it'd take hours and to someone with different music tastes it might seem like splitting hairs, so I'll abstain.

10. tdub0199

tdub0199

Mar 4, 2010
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Death Metal:

Doom Metal:

Drone Metal:

Grindcore:

Metalcore:

Melodic Death Metal:

Nu Metal: Ibanez SR Series... lol

Post Metal:

Prog Metal:

Sludge Metal:

Stoner Metal:

Thrash Metal:

11. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    The black one. Seriously, my son has played different genres of metal for years...it's the black one.

12. shadow_FIX

shadow_FIX

Feb 23, 2010
    I play metal on a burnt orange Stingray5 with sparkles.

With a black pickguard, black strings, and a sweet setup done by yours truly, it is very metal.

13. what about this one?

Attached Files:

14. JMac- Wiskerface Designs

JMac- Wiskerface Designs Terror headcase dude

Jul 8, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Here goes it!
    Death Metal: Black P bass, Chrome pickguard, strung with flats.

Doom Metal: Burst P bass, Black pickguard, strung with flats.

Drone Metal: White P bass, Black pickguard, strung with flats.

Grindcore: Black P bass, Chrome pickguard, strung with flats.

Metalcore: Black P bass, white pickguard, covered with stickers, strung with flats

Melodic Death Metal: Flat Black P bass, no pickguard, jazz pickup in bridge position, strung with flats

Nu Metal: Metallic Blue P bass, no pickguard, jazz pickup in bridge position, strung with flats

Too tired of copying and pasting to finish...... I guess I give up too easy.

Post Metal:

Prog Metal:

Sludge Metal:

Stoner Metal:

Thrash Metal:

15. Legattabass

Legattabass

Oct 21, 2010
    Maryland
    My experience with jazz pickups has not been stellar, though there is a jazz bass in metal club somewhere around here, so I won't discount it on pickups alone.

16. shadow_FIX

shadow_FIX

Feb 23, 2010
    Fixed ;)

17. JMac- Wiskerface Designs

Jul 8, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Awesome, Thanks man. It took far more effort to finish the list especially on a friday.

18. JMac- Wiskerface Designs

Jul 8, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Far too true My friend and It has to be silver, black or blue.

19. Legattabass

Legattabass

Oct 21, 2010
    Maryland
    SR series has an awful lot of woodgrain.

20. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Wait a minute... This post makes it sound like you were being serious! But you already acknowledged that there was no way it could be anything but a joke. Plus, the people posting "the black one" or "the pointy one" were clearly just goofing on you because you asked people not to give those answers.

If you were serious with the first post, and serious in your response to the response posts... do you even have a sense of humor?