1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Suggestion

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Mazatleco17, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Mazatleco17

Mazatleco17

Mar 27, 2008
    Greetings :) I own a SVM jazz bass, currently using flats (to tell you guys the truth don't even know what brand) love the sound of it but is really hard to play, the action is high and the strings are really stiff, so I'm looking for guidance on what set of flats to get, not to stiff and preferably want them to be black, thanks in advance.

2. Mazatleco17

Mazatleco17

Mar 27, 2008
    Bueller?

3. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    I'd try setting your bass up by lowering the action and/or adjusting the neck bow first, and then deciding if they are too stiff.

I've never seen coloured flats, and the smooth black strings you see sometimes are probably tapewounds, a different animal entirely.

4. Mazatleco17

Mazatleco17

Mar 27, 2008
    I'm aware of tapewounds (different animal) I've tried to lower the action on it, but I get fretbuzz and the strings still to stiff and hard to play.

5. Buskman

Buskman

Apr 13, 2007
    Jersey Shore, USA
    Have you tried adjusting the neck relief on the bass? Still sounds (mainly) like a setup issue, IMO. If you can, bring it in to a tech to give the bass a once over - or check out the sticky files in the setup & repair forum to try doing this yourself.

After that, you might try a set of Thomastik flats - about the lowest tension flats out there.

6. Mazatleco17

Mazatleco17

Mar 27, 2008
    Thanks, the bass was taken to a place to be setup and the guy told me that the action was as low as possible he did not even charge me, maybe is just me as I'm used to really low action my schecter c4 and 004 (but they're strung with flats)