1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

suggestions for adding to my classical repertoire

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by tww001, May 1, 2006.

1. tww001

tww001

Aug 13, 2003
    Telford, PA
    Hello all, I am looking for a piece to start learning (a summer project of sorts), but don't know what to choose, because there's so many pieces out there. Currently under my belt are the Marcello sonatas and Bottesini's Elegie. Does anyone have any pieces they favor? Something by Dragonetti perhaps? I'm thankful for any and all suggestions.

2. It sounds like you'd probably be a good candidate to learn the Dragonetti Concerto. It's not a great piece, but you have to know it.

3. Lorenzitti's Gavotte is a decent piece that is probably around the same difficulty level as the Dragonetti concerto. A movement of a Bach cello suite would be good too. The menuets from the first suite and the bourrees from the third suite are probably some of the easier movements. I learned the first suite with the Rabbath edition and found it to be very good although I don't like the way that he bowed the Gigue.

4. tww001

tww001

Aug 13, 2003
    Telford, PA
    I talked to my teacher about the Dragonetti Concerto. He wants me to do the Eccles Sonata before I start on the Dragonetti. Thanks for the suggestions though!

5. tww001

tww001

Aug 13, 2003
    Telford, PA
    Are there any suggestions as to where I can find recordings of the Eccles sonata? I'm sure there are lots of versions, but I'd like to know which would be recommended the most. Thanks

6. I really like Joel Quarrington's on his CD "Virtuoso Reality."

7. I think Gary Karr has a recording out there somewhere, but it's old, so you may not be able to track it down. There is a video recording of him playing the second movement on his Karrdiology video, which is available through lemur. Edgar Meyer plays the first and fourth movements on his CD "Music for Two", and while he plays the first moevement beautifully, he does go a bit "over the top" tempo wise on the fourth. Some guys here don't like his classical recordings, but I think they're great.

Oh yeah, Mark Morton should have a recording of the Eccles on one of his CD's as well. It's pretty good, from what I've heard.

8. Bottesini's Reverie is a good choice. A friend of mine is working on Bottesini's Concerto in one movement in B minor. Which is basicaly a chop (and lower by allot) version of his Concerto No.1 in F# minor. Hell go for the Bottesini No.1 in F# minor if you like (it's hard as hell trust me). Vivaldi has a bass concerto that would be good. Maybe the Tarantella (also by bottesini I'm a huge fan of him). The Capuzzi concerto is another one that could be a good choice. Don't know if you have played any of these things