1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Suggestions on which bass to try flatwounds on??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RiGarcia1983, Jan 27, 2012.

1. RiGarcia1983

RiGarcia1983

Nov 27, 2011
    Hi, strings are expensive as we all know. I've tried a god chunk of them undet the $30 mark all roundwounds .

I play a fender deluxe active j with a badass2 bridge and heavy ghs strings. I just recently bought a dinged, passive epi goth thunder bird for $100 and it has some cheapo medium set.of strings on.

Which bass would I have the most desirable sound? I guess I want tho aim for two totally different extremes with tone.

2. RiGarcia1983

RiGarcia1983

Nov 27, 2011
    Anyone out there?

3. Erich Bruning

Erich Bruning

Nov 25, 2003
    Interesting there were a few replies earlier today. Now they're gone. If I search for my earlier reply, the original thread with responses pops up. They don't show up when just in the general section.

EDiT, My reply from before:

If you like the current ones on the Jazz, then give a set of flats a run on the Tbird first and see what they sound like.

I have Fender Tapewounds on my Squire P, and Thomastik flats on my Ibby fiver. I really love the way the flats sound, especially now that I've got them on the Ibanez. I was hesitant at first, since they run about $70 or so a set and I wasn't playing it as much, but they really changed the feel of the bass. I pick it up a bit more now.

4. RiGarcia1983

RiGarcia1983

Nov 27, 2011
    Thanks Erich, ill check them out. Can't wait to hear these puppies