Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by bfitz, Jan 9, 2006.

1. bfitz

May 18, 2005
    lorain, ohio
    I have been using helicore orchestral strings for a while and I like the way they sound. my only problem with them is how "tense" they feel. the e string is the worst for this. I’m looking for the same sound, that darker but not muddy sound, but just in something that is not so hard on the hands. also, my bowing isn't the greatest but at this point I don't think that it is me anymore. the low strings seem really hard to get going. I have been thinking about corelli's based on what I have read but i'm not sure how they would feel, all I have seen is really on there sound. thanks for any help.
  2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    It sounds more like you need some setup work rather than different strings to me.
  3. PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    what style do you play? If you like an old school pizz sound, you might like some of the synthetic core strings, like Obligatos. They give a darker sound and are much easier on the fingers. I've been using Velvet animas for about a week now, and I really lke them, but they are not easy to bow
  4. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    How high is your action?

The Corellis are easy to play.
    The M are quite thin but if you want to dig in harder, the F or TX gauges are more appropriate.
    They are not very dark though, probably brighter than your Helicore orchestrals.
  5. bfitz

May 18, 2005
    lorain, ohio
    i do need a string that is bowable. my strings are set up a bit high but not the worst that i have seen, maybe a little higher than an 1/8 inch at the nut and a 1/2 inch off the end of the fingerboard. i'm not sure if that is considered high or not, i have had basses that play a lot worse than this this one as far as string height and i have gotten used to haveing high strings. this strings just seem stiff, i'm not really sure how to explain it. thanks for the replies, i guess that it is time to experiment.
  6. Bofee

Aug 19, 2005
    Grass Valley, CA
    If your strings are truly 1/8" off the fb at the nut you should get that looked at. The rule of thumb that I always hear is a business card should just slip between the string at the nut and fb. It made a huge difference in the playability of my first bass.
  7. Francois Blais

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    One or two business cards height at the nut. More than that the strings become very hard to press down.
    At the end of the FB, with steel strings, 7mm (G) to 9 or 10mm (E) seems quite good to me.
    Half an inch is 12.5mm.
  8. Francois Blais

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Just curious, did you solve your problem, bfitz?

9. DrChill

Jan 30, 2007
    New Braunfels, TX

I've got the Helicore Hybrids and I'm thinking of doing exactly what you are talking about - going to Corelli for lower tension. I'll probably get the 370F, but maybe the 370TX... Anyway, I'd be real interested to hear what you think of making that switch.

Also, as far as arco on Helicores, my experience is that my Helicores like Pops rosin best, and a reasonably liberal dose of it.

Good Luck.
  10. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I'm not sure why no one has suggested Flexicores yet. My experience is with the '92 formulation. A very nice string and I find them be a bit more comfortable than Helicores.