Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Suhr Basses. Anybody play one yet?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JRBrown, Nov 16, 2003.

1. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    I saw these for the first time this weekend. Smokin! Any body else try one yet?
    [​IMG]

2. BassFiddle63

BassFiddle63

Oct 4, 2002
    Oklahoma
    - Where are they made?
    - How much do they cost?

3. Have I played one? I'm not suhr....

4. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I believe Carey Nordstrand worked for Suhr not too long ago, so going on that alone, my guess would be that it's top rate stuff!

5. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I played one at Guitar Boutique on 50th street and 9th ave in N.Y.C. Really nice bass. The one I played was CAR /maple neck and most likely ash. It had flawless active electronics and a perfect finish. The owner used to work with John Suhr(pre Fender day's) at Rudy's on 48th street and also builds his own preamp that is exellent! as for the price of the bass, It was $2700.00 bucks and worth evey penny!

6. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    my friend has one... very similar to the one that was custom made for Victor Bailey (his main bass before the fender endorsement)

actually, it is a Pensa-Suhr bass. i guess john suhr is on his own now...

very very nice.

i tried that outboard preamp too... incredible...

7. HooBass

HooBass

May 27, 2003
    NC
  8. I played a Suhr jazz with ash body and rosewood board. Great bass.

The preamp was a bit unorthodox for me as I've been playing Sadowsky basses for years. Pickups were great but I can't deal with the hum when they blend knob is off center.

I forgot the price of it. I'm still 'loyal' to Sadowsky and that is my bass of choice.

9. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Just looks like another J bass clone to me..

:meh:

10. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001

it IS another J bass clone! ;)

11. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    My point exactly.. I've never been able to understand the "GAA - GAA" factor over them..

:confused:

But, to each his own...

12. Don't judge a book by its cover.

13. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    See below:

;)

14. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Suhr guitars are incredible and I've been wanting one ever since I played one. Never played the bass but if the guitars are any indication, they are worth every penny.

Yeah, Suhr makes Fender copies. But like other high end copies they are MUCH BETTER than anything Fender is selling.

15. :cool: :)

16. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    http://www.suhrguitars.com/bass_section.htm

I actually used the search function, instead of starting a new thread...the mods should be proud.

Anyway, I played one of these the other day...WOW!! What a beautifull instrument. I played the swamp ash J-bass w/ birdseye maple finger board, and tortoise pickguard. It was very light, and perfectly balaced. Played like butter. And had such a warm, organic full tone. I want it bad. However, $2750 is a lot of coin for me to shell out.

Anyone else have or play a Suhr??

hmm...if I dont pay any of my bills, or get the new computer i need, or buy groceries for a month it could be mine. :eyebrow:

17. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    This thread is like two years old.... You sh oudl have started a new thread :p.

18. RoboChrist

RoboChrist Guest

Jul 8, 2009
    Great bass.

:bag:

19. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:

My friend has two.
    A 4-string gold, maple fingerboard Jazz.
    And, a 5-string rosewood fingerboard Jazz.
    They are sweet.
    Light weight, great playability, classic tone.
    The gold 4-string is as nice a Jazz as I've ever played.

20. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

Yep. Except it doesn't have that clunky 'designed in the 50s' feel of Fender instuments. Also notice that all the parts are about 5 notches above anything Fender offers. Plus Suhr's are handmade by a person. Unlike you-know-who.