Sunn Beta Bass vs Ampeg V4B reissue... VOLUME!?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by k_espana, Apr 10, 2017.

1. k_espana

k_espana

Sep 5, 2016
    Hello fellow bass forum readers.
    I play bass in a Doomy sorta metal band and I'm thinking about replacing my trusty, forever-head-Sunn Beta Bass-with a Ampeg V4B.
    Sole reason for this is volume.
    While the beta bass is "prized" in my genre and it does sound good & loud, I obviously pale in comparison volume-wise to other bands with model-t's, svts, verellen's, etc.
    I'm on a budget ($1k or >) like everyone else and I've settled on the V4B... I think.
    The V4B seems pretty divisive regarding volume, but I have to believe it's gonna be louder than my beta bass.
    If I had a way to try a V4B with my rig (peavey t45, emperor 4x12 [em delta bs], overdrive, fuzz, octave pedals), then I could answer this question myself. Sound guys at our shows generally aver that the V4B would be louder than my sunn, simply because of tubes.
    Anyone have experience that could be helpful here?

2. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

If you like what an SVT can do in your genre then that’s what you should aim for. Tube amps have more pleasant overdrive characteristics in general than SS. That said 100W is 100W and is still a low powered amplifier.

3. Do you have the foot switch for the Beta Bass that would allow you to run both channels at the same time? That will net you more volume. No experience with the V4B, but I have run two cabs off the Beta Bass to get more volume.
    Fishheadjoe

4. k_espana

k_espana

Sep 5, 2016
    In re the 2 posts above:
    Firstly, thanks for responding.
    BassmanPaul: I just can't afford an SVT. I can get a V4B for $900 vs an SVT for $1800 that will probably still need immediate servicing.
    FishheadJoe: I have run 2 cabs before and I do get a little more bang for my buck. I shoulda' specified that I do also want tube warmth. When I'm running the beta bass clean w/no pedals, it's a little cold and boxy sounding comparatively, but still.

5. Razman

Razman

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    The Beta is 100w, correct? $1K is a lot for an amp. If tube are what you want, get an full-powered SVT or Mesa 400/400+. Mesa's M6/M9 amps are monsters. Any GK RB series would be my preference, and you'd have $$ left over for another bass (assuming you don't want another cab). Adding cabs is the first thing I'd do, but if you are limited to just one than more power will help.

Okay, so as I was typing this you replied - I've seen full SVT rigs (with a fridge) go for $1400, you should be able to find a WORKING SVT for under a grand easy. How about a GK Fusion 550? You get a monster class H power section with a tube front-end. It should provide more than enough juice for your needs.

Raz

6. k_espana

k_espana

Sep 5, 2016
    Raz-In Chicago, functional SVTs (not heritage, just classics) go for well above that. It's just the market here. The GKs and MBs are definitely powerful, but as far as the tone I have and am going for, it's more in the Sunn, Ampeg, Verellen, Hiwatt aesthetic.

7. Razman

Razman

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    Understood. If you want, send me the $1800, I'll go try the one out that is near me, ship the head to you, and keep the fridge for myself. :D :D :D

Here are a couple on TB:

For Sale - Ampeg SVT Classic

For Sale - SVT-CL

Best of luck with your search my friend.

Raz

8. OP, where are you located? that would help us to help you!
    Fishheadjoe

9. Razman

Razman

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    Looks like Chicago from last post.

10. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

If you had filled out your profile properly we would know where “here” is and would perhaps be able to help you better. :)

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 3, 2021