Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sunn Obsession

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Matt Till, Jan 22, 2006.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Ok, so this all started about a half a year ago! Maybe more...

I was jamming with a guitarist who primarily plays bass. This guy is all about vintage gear, everything he had was vintage. I was playing through a Sunn Coliseum rig... dear sweet jesus. It was honestly like I could have split the earth in half! That is what Rock is all about!

So, anyways: http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-VINTAGE-SUNN-COLISEUM-880-AMP-HEAD-WHO_W0QQitemZ7383547677QQcategoryZ10171QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem] This is killing me!!

Anybody wanna front me some cash... I get financial aid soon! ;)

I noticed it's quite common to see the Sunn Concert Bass Head for sale on Ebay... but it's only listed as 200 Watts... sure that's probably all I need... I'm losing my mind.

I usually don't have GAS this bad... but now that I'm in a band.. I don't know. I have so many threads "should I get this or should I get that."

I don't think I'll be running into that deal n that Sunn Coliseum amp any time soon, so I figured I'd give a heads up (hehehe). But do you think 200 watts and 4x10 Crate would be decent. Sunn's magic is in the tubes right?

I do worship at the church of Sunn

2. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    Welcome my brother :p

The 880 is pretty uncommon so if you can pick it up I would. That would be all you really need. I have a Coliseum 300 and it's plenty loud at 300 watts @ 2Ohm but the 880 would be awesome to have

I'm picking up a 300T all tube head next week but if you can find a Sunn 1200S hybrid head that gets stupid loud as well

The Ox, Rich Briere and myself are the resident Sunn geeks around here so let us know if you need any other help

Edit: you were posting on the Stoner Rock thread in recording and I know a lot of those bands like to rock Sunn heads. Just check out Clutch's new video. Their guitarist is playing a Model T and getting monster tone.

The earth splitting tone is what Sunn is known for so if that's what you want there is no substitute

3. i owned a sunn 1200s.
    great amp
    great power
    good price.
    im always changing amps, so i dont have it now.. but good times non-the-less.

4. gravaged

gravaged

Dec 9, 2005
    Alabama
    I'm a wanna be sunn o phile.. I won't rest until I have tried one, and then bought it.

5. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    Protoz will not regret buying an all tube 300T as an upgrade of the 1200S.

Once you try the 300T, you know what power means !!!

I had two friends yesterday who tried my SUNN 300T with two cabs one being my Yorkville XC808 ( 8 X 8" configuration ) and an Ampeg 610. They really liked the warmth and low end of the SUNN 300T. I especially liked the SUNN through the Ampeg 610 !!! My friends found the XC808 handled the low B really well and I thought so too as it was the first time I was trying a 5 String bass with my setup. It was great to hear the definition of the low B while playing higher notes on the high C string at the same time !!! Pretty amazing !

Yes, I am a happy SUNN owner.

6. so, was one of you the one who posted a thread with some The Who songs played through a Sunn amp a while ago???

Can you give me the link to this thread, I can't find it anymore. Want to listen again to those songs. It just sounded so great!!

thanks

7. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD

You mean this thread?

8. yes! thanks!

9. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Dude, I just saw your sig, and it reminded me of my rig. Traben Phoenix 5, Boss GT-6B, Mesa 400+ through Bergie 610 is my main rig. Pretty similar! :)

10. YES, hehe! I recognized that a while ago, but forgot to mention it :smug:
    Does it sound nice through the Bergie? It's sealed, right?
    I like my clean tone, but tube overdrive doesn't sound that good because the ported SWR is so clean.
    Unfortunately I have no chance to try or to get a Bergie here in Austria, no dealers..

greets :)

11. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

YEP!! I saw that thread! Ox, you have pretty much exactly the tone I want... Man that feedback you were getting on Pinball Wizard is awesome!!

I use to be one of those on the bass side when it came to bass vs. amp... but Sunn changed my mind. I really need a Sunn setup... that's all there is to it. If I can figure something out... I'll do it.

12. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    well, you best look at the all tube Sunn stuff. I don't think THAT tone will come from a solid state version.

I bought Sean's Sunn from patrickj to use at home (it only sounds like that at jamming levels... it's a crystal clear & clean head at low volumes). I sold it to Sean after figuring out I want that tube head clarity at stage volume and I bought a big tube head....

The more Sean sends me tracks to hear, the more I get pissed off for selling it :spit:

Check out his new tune "Sleeping Donny" http://ebassist.com/vb3/downloads.php?do=file&id=61

13. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Which models are all tube and which are solid state?

NO KIDDING DUDE! That track is awesome, and the bass totally dominates!! Cool band, very trippy.

Long shot, but are they any means of coming across Sunn gear other than Ebay?

14. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I just love the Bergie 610. It matches the 400+ perfectly! I find myself in need of a tweeter for some projects, so I'm planning on adding a Bergie 210 very soon now, and that should take care of that. The 610 is sealed. The OD I get sounds great through the cab. If you can get your hands on one, I'm sure you would love it.

15. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    http://www.dangpow.com/~sunn/

solano
    sonaro
    sorado
    solarus
    sceptre (the one Sean is using)
    sentura
    100s
    190s
    200s
    1200s
    2000s
    Model T

Might be more... guitar or bass, they have "bass friendly" EQs

Yeah, Sean's stuff is really growing on me... he's come A LONG way as a player, writer and singer.

I got mine here on TB. Check Craig's list and even the Sunn forum @ http://www.dangpow.com/~sunn/phpBB2/

you've got to register to see all the info there.

16. edbass

edbass

Nov 8, 2004
    You gotta dig for the old stuff. Local classifieds, garage and estate sales, etc. Ebay usually has some decent stuff available, but it's at the top of the price scale. I've bought some of my Sunn gear from Ebay, but most of it by scrounging and taking road trips. I've also been fortunate enough to get the matching original cabs for most of it that way also. I've used the heads through a variety of non Sunn cabs, but those huge, efficient alnico JBL loaded Sunn cabs really get the most out of the Sunn heads. The biggest problem is that the old cabs are truly huge, heavy beasts by modern cabinet standards. If you need to ship the cabs any distance, shipping can cost as much as the cabs do.

Attached Files:

17. CLJMB

CLJMB Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2005
    North Alabama
    I have a Sunn head just like the one up on ebay. Its in pretty bad shape cosmetically but it still sounds great. I also have one of the Sunn 4 15 cabs with the inside shaped like a "V" and th3 two pairs of 15s firing sideways across each other. Not too bad cosmetically and sounds HUGE. Rock and Roll baby!!

I never use the Sunn stuff anymore cause I'm old and weak :meh: , so I just use my Schroeder 1210 and my focus.

Anyone have any ideas on what those Sunn pieces might be worth?

18. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    eBay advanced searches for "Completed Auctions" are a pretty good judge of what the current market prices are. I know a couple people that would jump on the cab and/or head... maybe a TB classified ad is in order :)

19. CLJMB

CLJMB Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2005
    North Alabama
    Don't really want to sell them, just curious to the value. Since they are currently sitting in a laundry room :rollno: , I may need to upgrade their surroundings.

20. gravaged

gravaged

Dec 9, 2005
    Alabama
    I bet they would look spectacular in my living room :-D :-D