Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sunn Sceptre

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by until.tomorrow, Sep 3, 2005.

1. until.tomorrow

until.tomorrow Guest

May 5, 2003
    US - Milwaukee
    What is a good price for one of these now days? (good condition) I looked on e-bay but couldn't find a starting point.

Also what cabinet was supposed to go with the Sunn Sceptre?

2. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    The Ox has a Sceptre but I haven't paid more than $300 for any Sunn amp besides my Sunn 1200S which is a newer amp.

I'd say $350-$450 would be about the right ball park for a good conditon Sceptre but see how much The Ox paid.

From the rough recordings Ox did I'd say that is one of the better Sunn amps out there. Really awesome tone.

Oops forgot to add the cab info.
    Sunn's typically came with 15's and the Sceptre came with a 2x15 cab with JBL speakers in it if I recall right.

check out this site for tons of Sunn info
    http://www.dangpow.com/~sunn

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I paid $125 + shipping for mine... it wasn't nearly loud enough for a band situation so I sold it to Sean (the 0x) for $200 (included a new set of pro steels and replaced a bad preamp tube).

He bugged me forever to sell it, I did like it for jamming at the house.

4. until.tomorrow

until.tomorrow Guest

May 5, 2003
    US - Milwaukee
    I've heard his sound clips and I love the distortion! Can anyone else comment on the Sunn Sceptre's tone? They seem like they are hard to find. I searched e-bay in the present and past auctions and haven't come up with anything.

Does $600 sound like a good price for a excellent condition Sunn Sceptre and Sunn 215 cabinet? I tried to figure out what the cabinet was loaded with but the guys at that music store are old crabs. I called ahead and asked if they had any 215 cabinets forsale and they told me all they had was a Sonic Cab...I then told them what i was looking for (sealed 215 cabinet) and the guy told me about some other cabinet they had so I stopped in to check it out. lo and behold they had two 215 sunn cabinets...grrrr!

5. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    $600 is fair IF it has the JBLs in it. If it's CTS or something generic, $500 would be more appropriate.

6. Hey until.tomorrow, what music store is this and how can I get a hold of them?

7. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Wrong...The Sceptre came with a 4x12 cab that was the size of a 2x15 cab (similar to the Aguilar GS412, but sealed) I'd love to find one of those cabs.

Mine keeps up with a cranked Peavey Classic 50 4x10 just fine (of course, my amp is at 8 and distorting beautifully). Doesn't sound the best with more modern-style speakers, as it just tends to make them fart or sound harsh in the mids & highs. I'm getting a Sunn 200s (found one for $220) to go along with it soon, and am also saving up for a JBL-loaded 80's 215B, so i'll once again have a biamped rig from hell!!! :bassist:

(the 200s will be used as a practice PA amp until I get the 2x15)

8. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    Ah that's probably what threw me off. They liked to use one cab design for everything.

9. until.tomorrow

until.tomorrow Guest

May 5, 2003
    US - Milwaukee
    I havn't had any experience with Sunn cabinets but have heard all good things. I'm going to check this cabinet out on Thursday so I just want to get all of the info I wanna ask em before then.

First off can the screens on Sunn cabinets be removed easily to find out what it's loaded with or can you shine a flash light in and kind of see?

Also short of unscrewing the back off there is anyway of telling if the speakers are JBL or CTS/Generic?

Thanks much.

10. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    You should be able to remove the grill cover easily enough. I think it's a lot like fender cabs with the pull tab.

As far as I know all Sunn cabs are 8Ohm.

To tell if they are JBL's you should be able so see a metal dome cap through the grill even if you don't take it off.

11. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    CTS speakers have metal dome cabs as well... I had some in my univox cab, they still blew really easily. :spit: They didn't seem to be constructed too well, whereas the JBLs i've seen have been quite beefy. CTS speakers also have square magnets.

12. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    Well seems like I'm being corrected at every turn :)

Did the Sunn cabs ever come with speakers with AlNiCo magnets? I forger

13. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    The D-140s were Alnico i'm pretty sure.

14. edbass

edbass

Nov 8, 2004
    D series JBL's are Alnico, as are the K series. The Scepter came with rear loaded 12" Alnicos with Aluminum caps, probably CTS, possibly Eminence.

Attached Files:

15. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Those definately look like CTS speakers to me.