1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

super low freq

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by davidl13, Oct 8, 2017.

Tags:
  1. davidl13

davidl13

Oct 15, 2011
    USA distributor: www.optogateonline.com
    How does one drop super low frequency bombs... ?

I have 2 - 18" powered cab.. capable of a lot, with a low freq capability of 8hz

At this moment I am playing a 4 string(approx 40z low e). although I own a 5 string (approx 31 hz low b)...

But how does one drop the clear tone bomb???

Octave pedals seem a bit gritty and robotic... What is the effect that Phil lesh or Mike Gordon use to get the Uber low vibration... Or anyone else...

Subharmonic synth?

Thanks in advance

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017

2. The lowest note on a 5-string bass is about 30 Hz. If you’re looking for lower than that, you need an octave divider, that generates a signal an octave lower than the note you’re playing. As with everything else, I’m sure some EFX units are better than others. If you don't like what you got from a stomp box, I'm sure there are studio-grade processors available. How much are you willing to pay?

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Ecclesia: Unique Arrangements of Hymns, P&W Standards, and Original Tunes
    Administrator, Pedulla Club #45
    Administrator, Tobias Club #133
    Fretless Club #943
    Big Cabs Club #23
    My Rig: Stage and FOH Friendly
    My Basses

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
  3. davidl13

davidl13

Oct 15, 2011
    If you read my post again, you will see I'm not asking about money, I am asking about sound.. how does one create a clean fundamental below 31 (low b)... Every sub octave I have heard is not clean.. a bit gritty or robotic..

Do you know what processor will accomplish this? Have you tried it?

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
  4. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    That Aguilar octave pedal drops one lower. I have the TC electronic sub n up. It does 1 or 2 octaves low. The 1 octave down sounds awesome and natural. My cab won’t even make a sound for octave -2 on my low string. That may be a good pedal for you to check out

davidl13 likes this.
  5. davidl13

davidl13

Oct 15, 2011
    Thanks.. I have not heard that one yet...
    4 string bass low e is 40hz.. so theoretically I can get to 10hz 2 octaves down... It's all about the clean and natural part... I like clean earthquakes... ;)

metallicafan18 likes this.
  6. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    It’s great cause you can blend all the octaves together. And really have a huge foundation, but still have your natural bass on top. I love the pedal

davidl13 likes this.
  7. davidl13

davidl13

Oct 15, 2011
    I just watched a video with dry off and 2nd Sub octave down all the way up.. wow.. it was clean and really low.. you may be right, this may work...

metallicafan18 likes this.
  8. No such thing as an 8hz subwoofer that fits in your van.

M0ses, Sid s, FugaziBomb and 5 others like this.
  9. davidl13

davidl13

Oct 15, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  10. Gatlin

Gatlin

Sep 22, 2016
    Ellisville, MS
  11. davidl13

davidl13

Oct 15, 2011

Yea.. bag end is the bomb... Under 70lbs and just slightly larger than the speaker itself ..... I am going to try a 2 octave down pedal with no dry signal.. see how it does

12. BrBss

BrBss Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Albuquerque NM
    No mention of THD though. So the total volume may be -3dB for an 8Hz input (I'm skeptical of even that) but that volume is probably comprised mostly of harmonics generated by distortion from the speaker.

13. FugaziBomb

FugaziBomb

Jun 5, 2017
    Most cabinets can't reproduce sub 40Hz waves, even though the company may quote the frequency response down into the 20Hz territory. Really, anything below 60Hz is almost inaudible rumble. The nice deep sub style bass we're used to is like 80 or 100hz

Honch likes this.
  14. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    You'll want to look at the DOD Meatbox and the Mantic Density Hulk. Both are known for literally blowing up drivers with their sub-harmonic abilities.

fishsome and DrColossus68 like this.
  15. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    Who has an amp that goes that low?

And how could you tell if it even was even doing anything at that low of Hz? Hire elephants or whales?

16. Gatlin

Gatlin

Sep 22, 2016
    Ellisville, MS
    I almost fell out of my chair when I read the "Hire elephants or whales?" comment. Haha. Very true though.

I've read on the internet (so it must be true right?) that the human ear can hear down to 20 hz. I knew whales could hear much lower, but I wasn't aware of elephants. We haven't booked any gigs at the zoo lately, but maybe we should so we can test the theory?????

craigie likes this.
  17. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    I have just built a self amplified woofer that plays 1Hz. The cost is $12000. Results guaranteed. (If you can prove it doesn’t work)

ahc and Honch like this.
  18. Try a DBX 500...

19. DavC

DavC Supporting Member

May 17, 2005
    Tallmadge , Ohio
    my A/V and studio subs go down to 15hz ... which is already lower than humans can hear ... but i get nice solid audible lows , with a little extra oomph you can really only feel ... which makes sense for Special LFE type stuff , ... but nothing i'd ever wanna bother messing with on a gig ... ???

i've had several different processors for Sub Octave stuff ... DBX 120 SubHarmonic Synth ( the older better model ) , some Lexicon FX unit have ultra low processors , pedals are OK ... analog sounds better , digital works better .

if i wanted low lows , i'd use a keyboard , since they have sub oscillators built right in .. !! moogs are fun ..
    as are most Virtual Analog synths ... even little keys like the Alesis Micron that's in our classifieds ...

davidl13 likes this.
  20. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    You'll need lots of watts.
    You'll also need to have an amp with no built in pass filtering. This isn't always disclosed, but many amps have them built in to the circuitry.
    I'd suggest a crossover, if this is to work.
    Many octave pedals won't track as low as you are trying to go. Many analog ones start glitching between F# and A on the low string. Digital ones supposedly will track better.

This is a topic which has shown up from time to time on TB, though not usually as low as the OP is aiming. I don't think I've seen a generally accepted approach, nor a reported successful result. I have seen a bunch of conflict about which devices will or will not work an how or why.

Honch likes this.