1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Super Silvers?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Francois Blais, Apr 8, 2006.

1. Off-topic to this thread, but can you compare the Super Silvers with other Innovation strings?

2. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    No, I can't Francois....these are the first Innovations I've tried.

3. joe_sorren

joe_sorren

Apr 7, 2005
    arizona
    I would love to hear your thoughts about the super-silvers as well. I have been using them for the E&A along with gut D&Gfor about 5 months now and am pretty happy with the balance. Let me know your thoughts as you experiment with them, ok?

Also, what brought on the change? I thought you were pretty happy with Obli's?

4. ctxbass

ctxbass Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Central Texas
    I found the Supersilvers to be closer to gut in feel, response, and tone than the 140H set (the only other Innovations I've had on my bass). The 140Hs were stiff, and while I thought they had an attack similar to gut, the decay had what I can only describe as an "aftersound" rather than the original tone just fading.

The Supersilvers seem to have a point where playing harder yields no more sound and I never find that with guts. That said,with summer and the outdoor gigs coming up, I'll probably put the Supersilvers back on my ply bass. I don't think they can be beat for the old school sound with tuning stability.

5. Hi ctxbass.
    And how is the finish?
    Flat metal wrap?
    Flat nylon tape like the Rockabillies?
    Roundwound?
    The core is still synthetic I suppose.

6. ctxbass

ctxbass Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Central Texas
    Hi Francois,

The strings are wound with round wire, polished or ground to a fairly smooth finish. You can feel the ridges if you run your fingernail along the string.
    The box does say that all Innovation strings feature a non-metal core.

7. hofner

hofner

Dec 7, 2003
    france
    Supersilvers are great strings, i used them for a while before switching for Obligatos, which are more defined imho...
    howewer there's a new gauge in the supersilver family : a "slap" set, with a lower tension than usual ones which are "medium" tension...could worth a try !

8. Gufenov

Gufenov

Jun 8, 2003
    I changed to Supersilvers from Obligatos, hoping to get a longer life out of them. They feel softer but still produce good tone. They aren't as loud as the Obligatos, and I also found that I can't dig in too hard, or I produce a banjo-like "boing" sound - especially from the D.

I liked the sound of the Oblis better, but not enough to switch back before the Supers have some wear on them.