Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SuperBass Charts

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by Farin, Jan 31, 2006.

1. Farin

Farin

Oct 19, 2004
    Akron, Ohio
    Does anyone have any Ray Brown SuperBass, or SuperBass style charts? Im looking to be a Bass Duo or Trio for a Jazz Studio class I'm taking. I was actually looking for Blue Monk and the SuperBass Theme or anything else.
    Thanks

2. Brent Nussey

Brent Nussey

Jun 27, 2001
    Tokyo, Japan
    Hi Farin.

When I was your age, I played in a little concert with a bass trio exactly like you're talking about. What I did was to lift one of the tunes off the original Superbass album (this was with John Clayton and Ray Brown on multitracked basses, before CMB made it a trio) called "one armed bandit" IIRC. It's a very simple tune. Then I just created an arrangement to feature each guy, copying the general Superbass concept, but not the exact arrangement, so I could tailor it to the strengths of the guys I was playing with.

I'm sure you could do the same.

Brent

3. tgrant

tgrant

Nov 7, 2005
    Middletown, VA
    Farin,

There was a transcription of Centerpiece in one of the issues of bass player magazine. I think it was back in 2000 but I might be wrong. I'll have to go home and look.

Tim