Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Supernils installation

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by iPlay15151515, Mar 31, 2005.

1. Does anyone know where I can find a step by step guide to changing the strings on my UB? This is my first time, and the Supernil strings have no instructions.

My bass measures 41.5 inches from nut to bridge, but the strings seem much too long, and would leave a mess in the peg box if they aren't cut or shortened.

It would seem logical to shorten the strings by adjusting the length at the tailpiece end by retying the knot behind the brass washer in a different position and then cutting off the excess.

I assume the colored winding on each end of the string has a purpose like identification and/or to prevent unraveling, but it's not clear.

Also, each string has a short piece of plastic tubing. It appears to be heat shrink tubing. Does this go on the strings where they cross the bridge to reduce friction when tuning?

2. Check David Gage's site, I believe there is a link to an article he wrote with all the juicy details.

3. Thanks T.

I found David's site and read all of his bass articles. He has some good information.

I think the articles answered most of my questions.

My Supernil string are very long and the colored threads on the tailpiece end extend almost to the bridge.

Is it ok to reposition the knot in the tailpiece end in order to increase the distance between the colored threads and the bridge?

This will also help reduce some the extra string on the nut end.

Is it ok to cut off the excess on both ends?

I understand the need to leave some extra so the tailpiece can be adjusted if necessary, but if I leave all of the excess, I will have a rat's nest in my peg box.

4. Mods:

Is this topic in the correct forum or does it belong in Setup and Repair?

5. I think it's in the right forum. I don't have any experience with Supernils, so I dint reply. You might want to rename the thread title or start a new one since this question is more specific than your original.

6. Or try contacting the manufacturer or merchant who sold them to you.

7. HEY FRANCOIS! Try to get Francois, our string Guru's attention.
    I haven't a clue about Supernils

8. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    I changed the thread's title to reflect the change in the questioning.
    It's been so long since I tried those strings (early '80s) that I can't help, sorry!
    You may find better answers in the Rockabilly forum over there:
    http://www.rockabillybass.com/cgi-bin/discus/discus.cgi
    These strings are popular with rockabilly bassists I think.
    HTH!

9. Inexperience and poor judgment!

Too late Jason. I hate to admit this, but I've already cut my G string and yes it did indeed unravel like a slinky. Labella should include a warning in their packages.

It also appears that the A string doesn't fit the nut slot properly and it tunes in steps rather than smoothly even though there is a significant amount of graphite in the slot.

Did I mention that I'm having a bad string day? :mad:

Oh, and one more thing; I don't think my bass will ever again stay in tune with the Supernils.

10. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    iPod --

Coupla things... Yes, Supernil ball-end wraps are very long, and I've seen more than a few S'nil players with the wrappings extending up over the bridge. Not what you want. Tie another knot at the ball-ends to keep the wraps under the bridge -- do not cut them.

Assuming you're coming from a steel or other thinner-gauge string: You're probably right about the A not fitting your nut slot. Supernils are thick strings, and no amount of pencil lead will help if the slot's too small. Either have a luthier re-size the slots, or get you hands on a small round file to enlarge the slot yourself - you want to enlarge it WITHOUT deepening it. Check your progress often, then re-apply graphite and tune up. If you don't re-size the slot and the string is jumping up in steps, you're going to destroy the string.

Lastly - the other strings in the set are likely also too big for the nut slots (and possibly the bridge slots), though they may not be giving you such a hard time... Check all the strings for proper fit.

11. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    Which Innovations are you talking about, Jason? The Rockabillys? Yeah, those do sound pretty good and are surprisingly versatile.

...And they have a braided plastic core.

12. a. meyer

a. meyer

Dec 10, 2004
    portland, oregon
    Right, I understand. I've got quite a collection of strings myself. Actually, it's more of a rat's nest than a collection. That's where I found the Picatos, though--I'd bought them maybe four or five years ago, and decided to give 'em another shot.
    You have a Prescott, right? I expect baling wire would sound good on that thing!

13. Ladies and Gentlemen:

This is the captain speaking.

We have made an unscheduled landing in Cuba.

14. Thanks for the advice.

I live in the Asheville area of NC.