1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Supply Voltage - Testing and monitoring

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by bassjnky1, Jul 28, 2012.

1. I have had sensitive equipment ruined in the past from low voltage (browning) at a gig.

My question is...What precautions and equipment do you use to test the condition of and monitor the supplied power at a gig?

Is there a point at which you would refuse to play because of potential damage to your gear?

2. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    I can think of a place here in my town that has horrible outlets that are questionable: but if you refused to play there in 10 minutes there would be another band with their PA setting up to take your spot for the same crap pay. I also have had no problems with the power there. I think that a good electricians tool to check grounding would be cheap enough to throw into a gig bag though.

3. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    If the rest of the band is pulling enough power that it's causing a brown out situation for your gear then breakers should be tripping in the electrical panel.

If they are not blowing then there is a serious electrical problem. Get a voltage meter and watch it.

Switch to LED lighting, use class-d amps. You'll have plenty of power available.

4. uhdinator

uhdinator

Apr 20, 2010
    Maine
    I use a monster pro2500.
    Gives voltage readout and proper ground indication. If voltage goes to high or low it should trip the breaker on it and prevent gear damage. Exceeding 15 amp draw should trip it also. Building breakers should be tripping also if amperage draw is more than the circuit can provide.