1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Survey for Gigging Bass Players

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bayles, Mar 6, 2016.

1. bayles

bayles

Dec 21, 2011
    Hi Guys

Im hoping some of you nice folks might be able to help me with something.

I have a survey below that is aimed at "Gigging Bass players". This forms part of my degree and is also for a product I am trying to bring to market through college. It is only 9 questions long. The results will form part of my final report and will also be included when i do my pitch at the end of my degree to the funding board, where i hope to get funding to develop it further. The product is geared more towards Bass players (like myself) but with a few tweeks i am hoping to roll it out for guitar players also. I really appreciate your feedback on this and thanks a million.

Music Equipment USA Survey

gbrooding and Jamvan like this.
  2. Basehead

Basehead Now with even more synthy goodness...

Jan 3, 2008
    New York NY
    Done! Good luck...

bayles likes this.
  3. Minirehak 212

Minirehak 212

Mar 7, 2015
    Milwaukee
    I'm not a gigging bassist but I looked through it and got me wondering about what it is exactly. Is there any way you could give a little detail about your idea?

bayles likes this.
  4. jaybones

jaybones Banned

Mar 4, 2015
    Kelleys Island, Ohio
    none
    Done, and I think I qualified as a former gigging bassist (and a guitarist).

Might skew you data a little, but I didn't know which instrument to chose so I chose electric guitar. If it was possible to have multiple polling options, that might be better.

Also, I do have a road case that I bring with me (too keep everything organized and have my spares and maintenance kit always with me), but I don't keep it on stage with me.

bayles likes this.
  5. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Life: It's sexually transmitted and always fatal Supporting Member

Done. Good luck.

bayles likes this.
  6. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    Done...... Would like to address a few to give you some extra input:

3. Instrument Played
    Bass

Other (please specify) - Also play synth bass and synth bass (L Hand)/ extra keys (R. hand)

5. Have you ever had to perform on a stage where your movement was restricted due to equipment being in the way

9. Would you be prepared to invest in a piece of equipment that would generate more space on stage while protecting your instruments and accessories.

For me, Questions 3, 5, and 9 are related - It seems that the higher paying the gig, the bigger/better stage Im on. Its not an exact science with some anomolies here and there, but its a general rule of thumb. With the Function Band, which gets better money than the average bar band gig, the stages are typically bigger and better so I usually have a lot of room (and this is coming from a working bass player with a larger stage footprint than most because I also set up a keyboard rig as well as a bass rig)

Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
    MattZilla likes this.
  7. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

Taking a second upright bass to a gig would require owing more than one. It ain't happening! When playing bass guitar, I take a backup, but have never used it. The stuff I take is already organized into bags/a backpack/ cases/ etc.

Good luck with your project, but I can tell you that I already have a system that works. Not much will change it.

plankspanker13, bayles and elgecko like this.
  8. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    Done. :)

bayles likes this.
  9. kohanmike

kohanmike Gold Supporting Member

I did the survey, but didn't answer the last question because I too am very well organized and very compact with a sub-short scale bass and either a very compact battery operated Phil Jones Double Four I use for small gigs, and a very compact and light Carvin MB15 15" combo amp for larger gigs, with an extension 15" box for even larger gigs. I load them into an old lady shopping cart that doubles as a music stand and instrument hanger with the amp right in front of me. Super fast roll on stage, roll off.

Carvin 1 front cart.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
  10. bayles

bayles

Dec 21, 2011
    Thanks for all the replies and your contributions guys they have been a HUGE help, i shall be revealing all soon hopefully .. The design has to go for copywrite and protection first (college requirements) but yes more room on stage and guaranteed instrument protection. What i might do as soon as i get the protection in place is publish the whole design up here (if its OK with ADMINS) and let you pull it apart and ask questions etc , your input is very important as you guys are the potential customers. You may be interested to know that the survey is actually going the way i thought it would and im very pleased with the result so far.

Also huge thanks to "Talk Bass" for letting me use their platform for the survey, i did ask first and they said it would be cool.

Thanks again folks

steveb119 and AlexanderB like this.
  11. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    Done bro: I hope you're gonna be a future competitor for present cases and stuff
    my best wishes

Cheers,
    Wallace

bayles likes this.
  12. bayles

bayles

Dec 21, 2011
    Cheers dude , thanks a lot

13. mark beem

mark beem Wait, how does this song start again?? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    Done! Good luck!

bayles likes this.
  14. bayles

bayles

Dec 21, 2011
    Thanks for taking the time to do it buddy , you wont skew any results . All information gathered is relevant thats the nature of the beast.

15. bayles

bayles

Dec 21, 2011
    Afraid not buddy however im in the process of getting protection in place through college that will allow me to reveal all , watch this space.

Minirehak 212 likes this.
  16. Jamvan

Jamvan The Bassist Formerly Known As Meh Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2014
    Minnesota
    Done. :thumbsup:

You forgot to ask where the drink should go while on stage.

17. This is probably true for a lot of veterans. There might even be folks already employing the same basic ideas that might be behind the OP's new concept. When I play with Uncorked the Band, I use a wooden wine crate to carry my supplies (has a sliding cover, to keep the stuff in). When the setup is complete, the crate then serves as an amp or monitor elevator, depending on the venue and gear used. If used as a monitor elevator, it serves to tie in with the whole wine schtick of the band, where the tip jar is an oversized plastic wine glass placed atop a mini barrel, and the other front line monitors are also on wine boxes. The band never did implement my idea of taking decorative half-barrels, and placing them atop the subs (and below the mains), but there may come a big enough gig that they'll want to get a good video from, and it might happen, then.

Slough Feg Bass likes this.
  18. giannispezza

giannispezza

May 22, 2010
    Venice Italy
    Done. Interesting...

bayles likes this.
  19. spanndrew

spanndrew

Oct 14, 2013
    Atlanta, Ga
    Done! Good luck

bayles likes this.
  20. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Done! Looking forward to seeing what you have in mind.