Suspicious email?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Nickthebassist, Dec 29, 2004.

1. I got this email in my junk on Hotmail and it's from 'Administrator' and says in the subject 'Symantec has found 2 unrepariable viruses'. I didn't open it, but it doesn't have attachments, so is it safe to open?
  2. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I'd delete it and have Norton do a scan. You can check you Norton log to see if an event was recorded.
  3. Delete. I dont think that Nortan AntiVirus (which i think that program is referring to) would email you to notify the user of any viruses (sp?)

However, if you did recieve an email from Norton. You would have to be a registered user, and I think the name that shows up when you recieve it would be something other than 'Administrator'

Hope this helps.
  4. I don't use Norton, I use Kaspersky(just as good, but easier to use).
  5. monkeywithawang

Dec 29, 2004

delete dont touch it Nick
  6. Then you shouldn't be getting E-mails from Norton.
  7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I think you should go ahead and open it....just go to a friends house, and open it on his computer. :)

8. +1 :D
  9. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
  10. It's deleted........stinkin email.
  11. Probably just spam. That's one of the things they do -- they tell you something fictitious that's wrong with your computer, and you open it up and it's just an ad for software that fixes the problem.

So you got an email saying "you have two viruses." Open the email and it's probably an ad for Symantec's anti-virus software.
  12. Nick, i dont think that Norton actually sent you thoses emails. Rather some online software company spamming your inbox to purchase norton making users think "oh crap if i dont get this product im screwed!"

I use Norton's software. Great Products!
  13. srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    Just delete it. Sounds like a virus waiting for you to let in in.
  14. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003
    if the address is something like it isnt from the guys at symantec.
    I use F-Prot.