Sustain Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by HELLonWHEELS, Feb 26, 2006.

1. HELLonWHEELS

HELLonWHEELS

Jun 13, 2005
    Los Angeles
    I have a really wierd bridge setup(i think) where the E-A-D strings are all really high and the G is really low there is a centimeter differance if not more.... Anywho there is a lot more sustain on the G string. HOw can i get rid of some of it without changing the action

2. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    you LIKE your bridge/action this way? are you a upright player? most people have comparable action across all the strings, you know... (or am i wrong about this)

anyway, if you want to reduce the sustain on the G, you can always wrap the part of the G-string where it passes over the bridge, with cloth. a teeny bit will do. i believe you will lose some of the highs on that string.

3. HELLonWHEELS

HELLonWHEELS

Jun 13, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Naw i play a lot of slap. It just seemed easier to do that way so i don't have to pull up as far for pops so i can play much faster.

there is no other way of reducing the sustain. I was think of making the string shorter. Or make the bridge longer. i haven't really messed around that much with string lenght and such.

4. flon_klar

flon_klar

Feb 25, 2006
    Salt Lake City
    Is it possible that the added sustain is a result of the G-string being much closer to the p'ups than the other strings?

5. HELLonWHEELS

HELLonWHEELS

Jun 13, 2005
    Los Angeles
    yah the G is closer to the pick-ups. I'll try moving them back tonight and ill tell you what happens. Im still open to any other sugestions