Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sustain Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by HELLonWHEELS, Feb 26, 2006.

1. HELLonWHEELS

HELLonWHEELS

Jun 13, 2005
    Los Angeles
    I have a really wierd bridge setup(i think) where the E-A-D strings are all really high and the G is really low there is a centimeter differance if not more.... Anywho there is a lot more sustain on the G string. HOw can i get rid of some of it without changing the action

2. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    you LIKE your bridge/action this way? are you a upright player? most people have comparable action across all the strings, you know... (or am i wrong about this)

anyway, if you want to reduce the sustain on the G, you can always wrap the part of the G-string where it passes over the bridge, with cloth. a teeny bit will do. i believe you will lose some of the highs on that string.

3. HELLonWHEELS

HELLonWHEELS

Jun 13, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Naw i play a lot of slap. It just seemed easier to do that way so i don't have to pull up as far for pops so i can play much faster.

there is no other way of reducing the sustain. I was think of making the string shorter. Or make the bridge longer. i haven't really messed around that much with string lenght and such.

4. flon_klar

flon_klar

Feb 25, 2006
    Salt Lake City
    Is it possible that the added sustain is a result of the G-string being much closer to the p'ups than the other strings?

5. HELLonWHEELS

HELLonWHEELS

Jun 13, 2005
    Los Angeles
    yah the G is closer to the pick-ups. I'll try moving them back tonight and ill tell you what happens. Im still open to any other sugestions