Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sustain

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Spirit Fingers, Nov 21, 2003.

1. Spirit Fingers

Spirit Fingers

Nov 21, 2003
    I'm new to bass playing (6 months). I have a Fender Mex P-Bass and an Ashdown Mag 250 Combo. I want to achieve more sustain when I playing slow, simple songs - do I need a compressor pedal? If so, which one?

2. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    Check out www.bossus.com they have an interactive
    pedal board and you can try out the effect units.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    [​IMG]

Groove Tubes Fat Finger is what I use.

4. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Having a graphite neck can help.

I don't know of any effect that will give you more sustain (a compressor can give you a sense of more sustain, but the settings you will need to use to achieve that will suck your tone big time).

5. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Try playing more over the neck of the bass. Play between where the neck joins the body, and where the end of the fingerboard is. That area will give you a smoother, fatter ballad type tone, and will help with sustain. Playing in that area gives the notes more of a swell and will make the note ring more, hence more sustain.

6. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Oh, you could also try raising your action. That can help too.

7. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    That is an option, but it could throw off the other techniques that he is already comfy with. It is easier to learn one new technique or modify a technique than to have to change every different technique.

8. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    A lot of people confuse tone with sustain.
    You rarely play whole notes @ 60 bpm, and sustain is not really an issue when you play 8ths bass lines.

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I notice my only neck-through (Yamaha TRB5-PII) seems to have noticeably longer sustain than my eight bolt-ons.

10. Raman

Raman

Feb 19, 2003
    Montreal, Qc
    A compressor can increase your sustain. But, as already mentionned, it will affect your tone. Especially, as the natural sustain of your instrument decreases and the comp takes over, a noticeable amount of background noise will be heard. (If you want, it is the equivalent of turning up your volume as the note becomes quieter.)

If you really want sustain, you'll probably eventually have to think about getting a new bass.
    -Neckthrough can help, but the 3 elements that really make for the best sustain are : graphite necks, woods with lower density, and the absence of a head (headless basses).

I'm a sustain freak myself. And I'm blessed because my headless Axstar sustains forever.
    Lately, I almost bought a Steinberger XQ5--headless with a graphite neck. I finally changed my mind because I didn't like how punchy and bright the sound is on graphite. So be careful with that if you don't like that type of attack.

In the meanwhile, try a compresser to see if it does it for you, and try to play nearer the neck like Nick mentionned.

11. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Large gauge roundwounnd strings
    Leo Quan Badass bridge
    High(er) action

Thats what I use...

Alex

ps. My DBX 163x helps a littlle too ;)
    pss. this thread should be in setup...

12. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Spirit Fingers' question pertained to sustain through the use of effects. Despite the recommendations of adjusting the setup, the original question stands and I feel this belongs here.