1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SVT 4 PRO????

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by william curl, Aug 24, 2012.

1. william curl

william curl

Feb 13, 2012
    Mt Vernon Ga
    I'm wanting to get a new amp and I cant make up my mind the th500 ,streamliner or the heavy weights like the svt 4pro.I have played through the 4pro loved the sound hated the weight.i was wondering how reliable is it are the're any flaws from the factory that are common to this amp.I thought about the pro 7 but kinda backed off after hearing all the hype about it .all ready have a 410 classic he would most likely get another one to go with it.also thought about a mesa either m6 or m9 but have never tried these.

2. hersonRS3

hersonRS3

Aug 23, 2012
    Norwalk, CA
    Mesa Boogie M9 Carbine is a great sounding head, but really, really heavy. I kinda wish I went with the Aguilar TH500 instead... because of the weight.

3. lburton2

lburton2 Les Is More

May 15, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    i'm wondering the same thing man

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    The carbines aren't *that* heavy, but for pure kick ass bass tone, they pack a huge punch.

5. If weight is a consideration I'd forego the 4Pro in favor of the 7Pro. I own and play both and I absolutely LOVE both but when I don't care to cart the "big boys" I grab the 7Pro. Sounds great!

6. Ninjabot

Ninjabot

May 22, 2012
    Johnson City TN
    I've played on a 4pro for the last 13 years and love it. I don't mind the weight all that much as long as I can get an extra pair of hands to help me move it around. It's got plenty of power and does anything that I need it too. I have had a few things in the past that have gone wrong with it but nothing that I couldn't get fixed or really outweighed the pros for me. Namely the direct out on some of these gives some hissing but I have known of some players that never had this issue. I just usually have the sound guy mic my cab. I also had a fuse issues when I first got the head but once it was fixed I haven't had any trouble since. Dispite these issues I'm still in love with this head and probably won't be getting rid of it anytime soon. Hope this helps.

7. SVT4s are great but I'm wary of dragging big amps around to gigs, so my GK 500 Fusion is exactly to my liking. Tube pre-amp, solid state power back end.

8. nubs

nubs

Mar 1, 2005
    Wisconsin
    i have been gigging an SVT 4Pro for well over a year now, and have another for a practice rig, and at 42 lbs your worried about heavy? lug around an SVT CL for 10 years at 90+lbs.....geesh! :rollno: :D now thats heavy....

9. ethanbowen666

ethanbowen666

Jan 8, 2011
    Bassist, shadowseerband.com
    SVT4-pro is garbage compared to what else you can get, IMO, I own one. Get the Mesa.

10. bass12

bass12 And Grace, too

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    I've had a 4 Pro for around seven years and never had any problems. Definitely not garbage and, to my ears, one of the best sounding amps out there. To the OP, I own both the 4 and the 3 and have, for the past year, only been gigging the 3. I used to match the 3 with my 210 and 4 with my 410 exclusively but have realised that the 3 works just as well with the 410.

11. Wow....I guess that I've been lucky with my piece of "junk" for all these years..........:rollno:

12. ethanbowen666

ethanbowen666

Jan 8, 2011
    Yes I do mean garbage. I can't get any sort of good tone from that thing. The EQ sucks on it. The Compressor is a joke. It's also known to have problems with the balanced line outputs, which I have experienced. The only good thing about that amp is the built in crossover. I could see this amp costing $750 and being a good deal. But $1,499 for something that's been outsourced to an Asian country for manufacturing?

This is my 2 cents on this piece of equipment.

13. Well can't speak about yours, but mine has served me well for 6 years - but it was built in Saint Louis. I don't use the EQ or the Compressor, just raw power and haven't had a complaint from anyone in the band, the audience, or the FOH people yet!

14. 254 stringer

254 stringer

Apr 15, 2010
    Waco Texas
    I have one too and its an awesome amp sounds like user error.

15. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    My Vietnamese manufactured SVT4 Pro has been absolutely problem free and sounds fantastic through my 410 HLF. I have zero complaints and I get the big, warm, bottom-heavy tone I like.

Your mileage, clearly, may vary. Mine also didn't cost much over a grand brand new a couple of years ago so I guess prices vary regionally.

16. ethanbowen666

ethanbowen666

Jan 8, 2011
    See? Thats what I mean, You might as well just have boughten a power amp that has the same amount of power and saved a ton of money.

17. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Not anywhere near the same thing.

18. dukeorock

dukeorock Owner BNA Audio Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Authorized greenboy designs builder/Owner of BNA Audio
    The SVT 4Pro, is pretty good, the M9 is AWESOME, and if you want to go lightweight, I personally just love the Streamliner...IMO, IME, etc :)

19. +1 to this :p

20. "boughten"??

No thanks....I LIKE my 4Pro. :smug:

But that aside, my point remains: To the OP - the 7Pro is a great amp AND, if you're not into the iron giant and the weight (the 4Pro), the 7 is a fantastic replacement.