1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SVT 7 Pro - Reliability Issues fixed?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by forrestlaw, Aug 13, 2019 at 4:39 PM.

1. forrestlaw

forrestlaw Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2018
    Houston
    So, I've been GASsing recently for the Ampeg sound. Ideally I'd get a SVT-CL and and 810e, but i don't really want to pay for or haul them. The SVT 7 Pro looks interesting, but after reading reviews it seems many have experienced failures. These seem to have been fixed in the last few revisions, so I'm probably good if I buy a new one, right?

On another note, I've read in several posts that the PF800 has a hot DI that is almost unusable in the post setting and that is kind of turning me off of the PF800. How is the DI on the SVT 7 Pro.

The amp would be paired with an SVT410he.

2. TexBassMan

TexBassMan

Jul 20, 2011
    Spring, TX
    I bought a new SVT7 last week. First gig, it cut out twice. Replaced with a backup amp. Next day hooked up in my house, same settings and the amp cut out again. I am returning it. Very disappointed as the SVT7 has such potential. Can't count on reliability, can't use for gigs. Now I am trying to decide what to replace it with. SVT4 or SVT-CL would be my top choices, but weight is a negative factor.
    By the way, my backup amp is a PF800, have run it for 3 years. Only had one sound guy tell me the signal was hot.

AlexanderB likes this.
  3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    forrestlaw likes this.
  4. forrestlaw

Jun 25, 2018
    Houston
    That's a shame that you had a brand new one cut out on you the moment you took it out for a spin. I was hoping the reliability had been sorted by now, especially if I chose to spend the money on a new one.

I'm with you on the SVT4 or SVT-CL. The weight and physical size, in addition to the cost is a negative for me as well. FWIW, Aguilar TH700 and AG700 are on my list, too.

Have you done any recording with it or only played live? If I recall correctly, the thread(s) I was reading said it was much more noticeable in a studio.

5. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    I’ve recorded with my pf800, going post EQ, and very happy with the results.

tripp2k and forrestlaw like this.
  6. forrestlaw

Jun 25, 2018
    Houston
    @2saddleslab Thanks for sharing your experience with the PF800 DI. Just out of curiosity, what cab do you normally pair with it?

2saddleslab likes this.
  7. TexBassMan

TexBassMan

Jul 20, 2011
    Spring, TX
    I've used my PF800 with 2 Ampeg pf210he as well as one pf210he over an Ampeg pf410hlf. I was using the SVT7 with new Ampeg Neo 410 and Neo 115 cabs, then drove them with the PF800 and they sounded great with the PF800.

forrestlaw likes this.
  8. Lovep

Lovep

Mar 17, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    I have lots of experience with the SVT 7 PRO. My initial one that I purchased in early 2012 (used) cut out on me when I really started to dig in. I sold it and bought a new one from Sweetwater and it worked flawlessly. No issues whatsoever.

I started to work with other amps over the years and eventually came back to the 7PRO this year. It works flawlessly. Sounds great with my Ampeg PN410HLF. It’s my main rig at the moment.

To the original OP, the 7Pro is a great amp. Buy from a great company with a solid return policy.

You may look into the 4PRO. It sounds kinda the same as the 7PRO but a bit more sterile to me.

Helix likes this.
  9. 2saddleslab

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    I use a recovered 112 portabass cab sporting a Black Widow cast frame.
    A6C8EC71-2CDD-4713-B6FE-E64B8CADF0A7.

javi_bassist likes this.
  10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Got a 7 Pro 5 years ago and it's been reliable, although I no longer have it, having sold it to my old band's BL. With all due respect to TexBassMan, who I believe got a bum head for other reasons, the big problem with the 7 Pro was fixed like 3 or 4 years ago when the chip that always went faulty with them was replaced by a newer and heftier chip. But if it gives you the willies to get one and you want to still go lightweight but have giant power, the PF800 sounds almost as good (some might argue it sounds better although I slightly favor the 7 Pro), and it's never had any reliability problems based on the design. Had mine since 2014, shortly before I got the 7 Pro, and it still runs fine, too. Just used it an hour ago :D

11. forrestlaw

Jun 25, 2018
    Houston
    TBH that's kind of what I was both hoping and expecting to hear. Hopefully TexBassMan just got a bad unit, which can happen for any manufacturer.

This is one of the threads I was reading about talking about the DI on the PF800 being almost unusable: Ampeg PF800. @JimmyM has your experience with the PF800 DI changed since you wrote your post on page 3 of the above thread?

JimmyM likes this.
  12. 2saddleslab

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    When recording the first 3 songs I had inadvertently hit the -40db, it recorded well. The next recording session I made sure the -40db button was not engaged and the engineer said my signal was way too hot. When I explained I must have used the pad on the 1st session the engineer was able to adjust levels at the board and the remaining 8 songs were recorded post EQ without the pad. The bass sounds consistent throughout the 11 song recording.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019 at 7:20 AM
  13. Kriegs

Kriegs Peace

Feb 14, 2018
    MA/ RI area
    Sorry for the thread-jacking...
    I'm not, generally speaking, a big country fan but this song really has me grooving this morning! Thanks for the smile and pick me up :thumbsup:

tripp2k and 2saddleslab like this.
  14. 2saddleslab

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Thanks for the kind words.:thumbsup: We don’t necessarily consider it country, but that’s really up to the listener. There’s also some blues tinged songs on the CD although we’re not a blues band either. We like straddling musical genres.

Kriegs likes this.
  15. Lovep

Lovep

Mar 17, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    Nice sound!!

2saddleslab likes this.
  16. 2saddleslab

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Thanks!:thumbsup: Much appreciated.

17. basso_profundo

basso_profundo

Mar 12, 2012
    Denver, CO
    Happy PF-800 owner here - the DI can be hot, but a) most input sources have a gain that can turn down to adjust, and b) the DI output -40 Db pad can be used.

I’ve recorded a bunch with it and have used it as a stage DI many times with no issues.

I love the headroom, tone, and form factor.

2saddleslab and forrestlaw like this.
  18. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Honestly, I don't recall using the DI on a gig with the 800 since I usually use a REDDI for a DI. Sorry but I'm spoiled :D But I do remember it being pretty hot but usable.

forrestlaw likes this.
  19. how are you running it? i have had mine for 5 almost 6 years . had a few cut outs when i first got it. i added the darkglass pre amp .b7k and i havent seen a problem since.. nice loud. tone for days.. wont trade it for anything

20. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

... happy SVT-7PRO user ,
    no issues to report , it's been solid and dependable ...
    2018-10-14 13.34.18.
    :thumbsup::cool: