1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SVT 7 Pro - Reliability Issues fixed?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by forrestlaw, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Specific Ocean

Specific Ocean

Jul 26, 2019
    I have the SVT7 and it's a great sounding amp. I've taken it on tour, large gigs, recorded with it and use it for rehearsals. I think some of the bad reviews stem from people not watching out for that peaking light. I've learned that it is sensitive but if you spend some time with it figuring out what works and what doesn't, you'll have an amp that can last you years of service. Also, utilize that -15dB

Lovep likes this.
  2. Mantis Tobaggan

Mantis Tobaggan Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    I bought one in 2014 and sold it a few years later and had zero issues. I love the tone... very close to an SVT CL.

forrestlaw likes this.
  3. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg , Conquest Sound
    I've tried several SVT Pro series amps including the 4 Pro, 6 Pro and 7 Pro. The 6 Pro was by far the best sounding. However, I still prefer my CL over any of the Pro series and my 72 SVT over the CL.

SactoBass and JimmyM like this.
  4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Well who doesn't? :D But I do have to say that my H-CL sounds identical to channel 1 normal in my 69 SVT when you crank master all the way up and use gain to control volume. Very pleasantly surprised by that discovery. But the different inputs and channels on the originals, VR, and soon the 50th Anniversay SVT do give it an extra level of versatility of tone.

Cranking the gain to where the peaking light comes on shouldn't cause it to shut down. That's how you get overdrive out of it. The 7 Pro problems were related to a chip that was undersized for the amp that's been replaced with a much heftier chip as of like 3 or 4 years ago.

Kmonk and Specific Ocean like this.
  5. Specific Ocean

Specific Ocean

Jul 26, 2019
    Ah, makes much more sense. I was told differently years ago, glad this is sorted out

JimmyM likes this.
  6. Sparkl

Sparkl

Apr 23, 2011
    Europe
    If you dont want to haul your svt cl then svt3pro is your next best choice.

7. baxter_x

baxter_x

Nov 27, 2013
    EU
    Maybe we should ask what revision OP's amp bought? If it's NOT an H one, then we all have our answer I guess.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
    AlexanderB likes this.
  8. baxter_x

baxter_x

Nov 27, 2013
    EU
    I could never overdrive the amp. But I didn"t have the opportunity to really push it yet.

JimmyM likes this.
  9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    The amp or the preamp? I've found the 7 Pro overdrives the pre pretty easily once you push past gain to noon or above. I wouldn't try pushing the power amp to get OD...you're likely to blow your cab!

10. baxter_x

baxter_x

Nov 27, 2013
    EU
    The preamp, not the amp. Even by pushing the gain.
    About the power of the amp, I played it live a month ago at a festival, and I couldn't set the master past 25%! Yes, the SVT 7 is extremely powerful!

11. Lovep

Lovep

Mar 17, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    I find I keep the gain around 2:30-3:30 and the master at noon. -15db pad at home. Powerful!!

12. forrestlaw

forrestlaw Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2018
    Houston
    SVT 3 Pro seems underpowered compared to other options. I don't own and SVT-CL... would love to, though.

OP here... I don't own a 7 Pro (yet, anyway), but was asking for opinions/experiences as to whether they are more reliable now than several years ago. One of the first responses was the TBer that had a new one crap out at the first gig.

AlexanderB and baxter_x like this.
  13. baxter_x

baxter_x

Nov 27, 2013
    EU
    Ok. To me they are reliable. No more issues.

forrestlaw likes this.
  14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Sheesh! Are you running -15db or something? I never had a problem making my 7 Pro's pre overdrive, and it would get pretty strong if you cranked it.

Is it the most powerful amp they make? Certainly not. But 450w at 4 ohms is plenty for the vast majority of non-metal gigs, and is even plenty for a lot of metal gigs. SVT tube amps only do 300w and it's rare you hear about someone complaining about not having enough volume with an SVT.

Well sure...new ones can crap out. Any amp can crap out. No amp on the market is immune to it. But the difference between a defect vs a design flaw has to be taken into account.[/QUOTE]

FRoss6788 and forrestlaw like this.
  15. Sparkl

Sparkl

Apr 23, 2011
    Europe
    It is only underpowered if you decide to use the most inefficient speakers on the planet. I use it with my Hartke HD set which uses fairly inefficient speakers and I have no trouble hearing myself on the stage.

Point is, the SVT3Pro has the closest voicing of them all to the SVT-CL. I am definitely in love with this amp. Brilliant.

In the future I will add an actual SVT-CL to my collection for the "why not" gigs and my life will be complete. Couldn't ask for anything more.

JimmyM likes this.
  16. forrestlaw

forrestlaw Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2018
    Houston
    [/QUOTE]

True. I've been running my Rumble 500 combo without an extension for the last several years and never felt the need for more power. So, an SVT 3 Pro into a 410hlf (or even a 410he) would likely be all I need.

Also completely agree that any amp can crap out. It sucks for TexBassMan that his brand new one didn't even make it through one gig, but for the most part the issue does seem to have been adequately addressed.

I do play small clubs on occasion with no FOH support, but my Rumble 500 combo has served me well for the last several years and I've never felt the need for more power or an extension cab.

I've not been able to test out a 3 Pro or a 4 Pro. Does TB feel strongly that these are that much closer to a CL sound than the 7 Pro?

JimmyM likes this.
  17. Sparkl

Sparkl

Apr 23, 2011
    Europe
    True. I've been running my Rumble 500 combo without an extension for the last several years and never felt the need for more power. So, an SVT 3 Pro into a 410hlf (or even a 410he) would likely be all I need.

Also completely agree that any amp can crap out. It sucks for TexBassMan that his brand new one didn't even make it through one gig, but for the most part the issue does seem to have been adequately addressed.

I do play small clubs on occasion with no FOH support, but my Rumble 500 combo has served me well for the last several years and I've never felt the need for more power or an extension cab.

I've not been able to test out a 3 Pro or a 4 Pro. Does TB feel strongly that these are that much closer to a CL sound than the 7 Pro?[/QUOTE]

I would honestly bet my ass on it. :)

forrestlaw likes this.
  18. Sparkl

Sparkl

Apr 23, 2011
    Europe

I've not been able to test out a 3 Pro or a 4 Pro. Does TB feel strongly that these are that much closer to a CL sound than the 7 Pro?[/QUOTE]

I would honestly bet my ass on it. :)

19. Sparkl

Sparkl

Apr 23, 2011
    Europe
    It also has way more tubes in it than any other svt pro minus the svt2pro obviously.

20. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Well people's opinions will be all over the map on this one. Some will say the 3 and 4 Pro are closer. Some will say the 7 Pro is closer. And the truth is that they are both right :D

The 3 and 4 Pro have traditional solid state power amps while the 7 Pro has a class D power amp with a switchmode power supply instead of a heavy power transformer. To me, the sonic differences represent two different types of SVT tone...the 3 and 4 Pro can go cleaner and they sound like a clean running SVT but can also sound like an overdriven one and one being pushed into what they call "sag," which isn't quite overdrive but you can tell the tubes are starting to approach overdrive and getting that sound where you can tell it's not quite as tight as before. The 7 Pro sounds like it's at that sag point all the time through the amp and into a cab, although through the DI into a PA system it's not going through the power amp so it sounds more like the 3 and 4 Pro. But I love both types of sound and appreciate each one for their differences as much as their similarities.