1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

svt cl head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by miholc, Sep 27, 2009.

1. miholc

miholc

Aug 17, 2009
    I recently got svt cl head. On back side I noticed following:
    http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w8/johanes_bucket/svtcl.jpg
    There is contact between protective 'metal grill' and I guess transformer?
    Paint is scratched already (call me drama queen) Should I put smth between grill and chasis to avoid contact or just leave it as it is?
    Oh and one more thing..
    Is there some method for adjusting bias more accurately (using some el. device) and how..? Thx in advance for responses and sry for my english.
    M

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I wouldn't put anything between them, lest it catches on fire. Maybe you could bend the screen out a little to keep it off, or just keep from pushing in on the screen.

And yes, it can be biased better than the user bias controls, but it has to be done by a tech.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Yes, take it in to a qualified amp technician. He'll have it all sorted, including the bent screen. Don't try to do it yourself, (the biasing).

4. username1

username1

Dec 28, 2005
    alberta canada
    I would take off the back screen and bend it back into shape. Mine was touching also and would buzz but it was easy to fix. As far as biasing goes, you can get close enough using the bias lights. Let it warm up for 20 min. and with nothing plugged into the input "unplug your bass" just turn the adjusting screws clockwise till it goes into red and back off slightly till they are green. When both green lights are lit listen for hum and slightly adjust either of the bias adjustment screws till the hum is at the lowest making shure they are still both green. I used to bias my old 70's svt's just by ear and my tubes always seemed to last forever. In my guitar repair shop i always tried to educate my customers to learn the simple basics of setup. If you are on the road with no repair shop around it is good to know the basics and i believe every musician should learn simple setup procedures of their instruments. If your not shure about something just ask someone who knows. Its like owning a car and not knowing how to change a tire or check your oil. I wouldn't recomend unbolting the power section and removing it yourself because there are high voltages stored in the capacitors that could kill you, and also nothing in their you can repair yourself, but simple tube changing and bias adjustments are easy to perform. My old V4b is self biasing and I'm shure it doesnt even come close to what your classic can be set to using the bias lights yourself,even though they might not be perfect they will be close enough and alot closer than fixed biasing circuits like on the V4b. Of course you can also pay alot of money to have a shop do everything for you, learn nothing, and have no noticible difference in sound.

5. miholc

miholc

Aug 17, 2009
    Hey thank you all!
    I've put washers (6) under grill (where it's screwed) so there's no contact anymore and biased it too! :D

6. username1

username1

Dec 28, 2005
    alberta canada
    Way to go!!! that wasnt too painfull was it?

7. miholc

miholc

Aug 17, 2009
    not at all :)