1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SVT CL trade for Ric??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hasbeen, Mar 23, 2009.

1. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution, Ampeg distribution
    Looking for opinions.

I have a mint, SVT-CL ...USA made. Has never left my studio. Would you do an even trade for a 2006 Ric...in "Montezuma" brown...mint?

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Depends. Money-wise, you come out slightly ahead with the Ric, but, which do you need more, another bass, or that classy head?

3. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004

yes....you're right. Current "mint" used on the Ric is pushing $2k. I think the USA SVT's will rise a bit too.

4. GC4

GC4

Apr 6, 2008
    Toronto, Ontario
    I think I would keep the head. The SVT-CL is a great head and they aren't made in the USA anymore. Your decision though. I just can't part with tube heads.

5. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004

That's the reason why I'm torn. The Ric wouldn't be my main bass either...by any stretch. But, it is a classic that I would love to have in my collection.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Roger, I'm not a big fan of Rics, but I would be sorely tempted to make that trade if I was. I don't know, bro...flip a coin.

7. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004

I hear what your sayin'.....I'm very tempted too.

I know this bass. Rics are so tough to come by that I had to pull some strings to get it for the current owner. ...now, he wants to trade it out for my SVT.

I'll keep everyone posted...as to whay I decide. Of course if I get the bass, I'll post pics. :D

8. the engine

the engine Guest

I would do it. You can find some really nice all-tube Ampeg stuff for less than $2000. Who cares if the head may have a scratch on it? You probably won't sneak up on a deal like that on that bass anytime soon. Best of luck to you!

9. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    thanks for taking the time to give some input. I appreciate it.

In the end, it will probably come down to "my emotion at the time". You know.....sitting there, with the bass in my hand and such.

10. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Gosh. Either way this goes, to a degree, it'll be a win - lose scenario.

Way to start the day with a dilemma , eh!? :D

11. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    You mean like playing the Ric through your SVT? :bag: :)

12. T-Forty

T-Forty Guest

Mar 14, 2008
    I'm not a fan of the ric sound, but constantly find myself lusting over the styling.

So, would I trade an SVT for a bass that I would love looking at? Nah!

13. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    In a heartbeat!
    While I am a tube amp fan, I'm not a fan of the CL, but a montezuma Ric is the best looking color I've ever seen on a Ric.

14. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    yeah ...no kidding. That is such a classic sound. Quite the conundrum.

15. steveinohio

steveinohio

May 27, 2007
    Do it. An svt is easier to come by.

16. If youre a product manager for Genz, why even BOTHER with something that says ampeg on it??

17. But, I must add, the CL is the best sounding ampeg product I have ever heard.

18. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Well Jim, I guess you just answered your own question ;)

19. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Fair question. Please be aware though that to become a product manager should mean that you have some indepth exposure to LOTS of product on the market....maybe even an expertise.

In the 80's, I was a full endorser of SWR. Before that, I played full tube SVT's.

Also, just for fun, I collect amps. Trace tube amps (used to work for them), SA200's (have two of them), old Marshall Majors....etc. Then, there is competitor product that I respect and enjoy playing through once in a while.

I also have friends at these companies: Aguilar, EA, Ampeg (yes, still). Lastly, to me, amps are "application specific". If I had to do a real, organic blues gig, I'd take a P Bass with flats, thumping through a tube amp.

Oh yeah....and, did I mention I love amps? :D

20. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    oooh...and I forgot. One of the best live bass tones I ever heard was Marcus Miller, playing through an SVT rig in 1984, at the Bottom Line in NYC....with John Schofield, Randy Brecker, Lenny White......and some other cats.

Now, I said "one of the best". The BEST bass tone can only be had if you play through a........ ummmm..... ;)