1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SVT or YBA200???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AndrewClaycomb, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Which one? I mainly play rock and roll, but I sometimes mellow down and play more of an Interpol style of rock. My cabs are a goliath jr 3 and a son of bertha.

How much does each weigh?

2. SVT-CL, SVT II, SVT 2-Pro, fake SS SVT, or a real SVT?

3. I'm not sure, help me decide...

4. SVT Classic. End of story.

5. Why not consider some other amps as well? A Fender Bassman Pro costs less than the -CL, and a Mesa 400+ costs about the same. I don't like the CL at all. The SVT-2 Pro is pretty much the only Ampeg head currently in production I would consider getting. The older SVT-II sounds great though, as does the origional SVT. The CL overdrive is very muddy and middy sounding, whereas the 2 Pro gets closer to the origional SVT, and the II gets even closer. The origional has an articulate overdriven tone with a low mid bump. The Traynor gets pretty similar overdrive to this, but without as much volume. The Mesa 400+ and Fender Bassman are much better for hi-fi tone, but the Fender also gets a ton of variety of distortion and compressed tones. The Mesa 400+ is very versitle in the clean tone, but can be dialed in to have a bit of overdrive and distortion, and it sounds great. Can you describe your tone a bit more?

6. I would by two yba-200's and run one into each cab. You would probably have money left over from what you would have spent otherwise.

7. That would certainly be an interesting rig :smug:

8. I think it would be amazing! I have contemplated doing it myself but with different cabs.

9. I would suggest saving a bit more and just getting the Traynor and pairing that with a Carvin 100 watt tube power amp ($400) for the smaller cab. It would save a bit of weight too. In any case, 2 YBA 200s would be overkill, in a good way :D

10. I like over kill.

11. how warm would an eden be compared to those. Currently I'm using a bbe bmax and it's just not the right flavor.

12. Which Eden?

13. You may not dig a Mesa 400+ then. It utilizes a very similar tone circuit as the BBE. Although, the Mesa has some features that make it a bit more versatile.

14. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    And two YBA200's still weight less than that of an SVT-CL. I dare say cost less too.

15. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    bbe bmax may be great for some; I hated it. I do not like the way the tone stack works. I don't want my treble effecting my bass, or vice versa. For me, it had one good sound:flat, and that was it. YMMV, some folks really like it.

The eden wt800B kills it dead.

I'd love to try an svt-II or yba200...

16. Tagging along, I own the same cabs, goliath jr 3 and sob...thinking about adding a tube amp. Does anyone know of an online retailer that sells the YBA?

17. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
  18. BFISHER1970

BFISHER1970 Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2005
    Pensacola, Florida
    www.musicworksgroup.com
    I got a price of 600 bucks shipped.
    Lowest I've found. Just email them they are very nice.

19. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Even better than mine. Or you could looked for one used and get it cheaper.

20. a true bass player :bassist: