1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SVT Simulation Shoot-Out

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by CharlieC, Sep 30, 2010.

1. CharlieC

CharlieC

Aug 20, 2010
    New York, NY
    I created the following web page in hope that we could discuss devices that claim to simulate the classic sounds of an Ampeg SVT and perhaps "amp modeling" in general.

http://www.zinfanus.com/svt

I hope you enjoy the page and this thread.

I do not claim to be an expert, scientist, or even a great talent on bass, but it would be nice if we kept gear bashing + flaming to a minimum :)

Cheers!

JulienP. likes this.
  2. fu22ba55

fu22ba55 Gold Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2009
    I you have access to it, you may as well add the Ampeg SVX plugin to the mix.

3. svtb15

svtb15 Inactive

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    I like the VT bass @ 8 o'clock the best.. on each sample.
    I have a line 6 Bass Pod ProXT and it always seems too dark as with your samples.
    I did a session last week and wasted too much time with sounds that always worked in teh past.. So we just miced a cab and amp and got it in one second.. and sound very much like the VT pedal on your sample
    I sold my VT bass pedal last year.. looks like i need to get another one.

4. CharlieC

CharlieC

Aug 20, 2010
    New York, NY
    Sorry, no access to it, but in the future I hope that you guys will take my raw DI files found on the site, process them fairly, and them e-mail them to me for inclusion on my Shoot-Out page.

Let's see where this thread goes first before I take that on :)

5. CharlieC

CharlieC

Aug 20, 2010
    New York, NY
    In fairness, all device EQ's were set flat prior to recording them.

Put a little shine + sparkle EQ on that POD X3 model and it sounds as good, if not better than, the others!

... at least to me!

6. fu22ba55

fu22ba55 Gold Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2009
    I might be able to do that... I have to look around and see if I still have SVX installed somewhere...

7. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    The SV Bass amp/SVT 8x10 models on the Axe-FX are the best I've heard so far. Redwirez has put out a set of IRs for the 8x10 that are apparently even better than the SVX plugin- I haven't bought/heard them yet myself though.

MrWolf14 and jimfist like this.
  8. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    Great Job especially when I had both going at the same time....I own the Tech21Sansamp PSA1.1......thanks for the inspiration..............................

9. CharlieC

CharlieC

Aug 20, 2010
    New York, NY
    The Line 6 models in my tests showed so poorly when set with flat EQ that I thought they deserved another chance against the competition.

I have updated my page to also include this new sample audio that features the default EQ settings that Line 6 suggests for their amp models.

Their SVT attempt sounds much better now and is more in the same league as the others!

10. My amp is an SVT. I've only checked out your VT Bass clips as yet, but so far they're sounding pretty good :)

11. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    finally got to listen...i still think i made the right decision with the vt and vt deluxe. however, i'd love to see a test where you pick a sound or two and try to match them with each device rather than just setting them flat. flat knobs don't necessarily mean flat response, especially with the vt, which can slice your head off with treble if you're not careful.

12. CharlieC

CharlieC

Aug 20, 2010
    New York, NY
    Thanks, Jimmy, and duly noted!

As an owner and advocate of all the devices in my Shoot-Out, I don't think there are really any right or wrong decisions, just lots of subjectivity. I am simply happy having all of them in my toolbox and not having to decide on just one to use.

I like your idea about trying to match on tone and I'm seriously re-thinking my initial flat-EQ approach. I may soon be updating my Shoot-Out page under that model, especially since you were generous enough to PM me with some fine examples of your finger-style DI recordings for me to use.

To be continued ...

13. You need to add a real overdriven svt with 8x10 as a basis for your comparison.

14. CharlieC

CharlieC

Aug 20, 2010
    New York, NY
    There is no comparison to a real SVT :)

The comparison here is between the competing units, but your feedback is appreciated none the less. Thanks!

15. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    sorry denial, got to agree with charlie on that. we know they can imitate the svt's and b-15's already.

16. 2 other units to add to your shoot out:
    Zoom B2 or B2.1u which is not too bad
    AdrenaLinn III has a better model for SVT that is very tweakable

17. I agree with your statement IF everyone on talkbass knows knows how a cranked svt sounds like which is not the case at all. Hell...I didn't even know how a cranked svt sounded like until I joined this site. Some people might prefer a VT bass to ampeg svt.

18. CharlieC

CharlieC

Aug 20, 2010
    New York, NY
    For better or for worse, I've shuffled the deck on my Shoot-Out page so that each device is now putting its best foot forward in competition with each other.

You will now find that all audio samples are more in the same tonal ballpark and the results are even more interesting this time around.

Enjoy!

19. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    Which SVT? Classic or pro?

They're different beasts altogether.

20. CharlieC

CharlieC

Aug 20, 2010
    New York, NY
    Agreed, different beasts, but for this thread I'm simply comparing simulator devices to gauge their best SVT "style" tones, most likely "Classic" tones in most people's minds. All subjective stuff, decide for yourself if you feel the need. I'm not getting compensated for this :)

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 5, 2021