1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SVT4Pro Direct Out causes buzz

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by clewis13, Aug 18, 2012.

1. clewis13

clewis13

Aug 18, 2012
    I just got an Ampeg SVT4Pro to use with my setup at church. I'm running no effects and my plan was to just use the built in compression from the SVT. The room we play in is too small to plug the SVT into a cab and then mic. as it overpowers the house, so the plan was to run Direct Out from the head into the PA.

My tone is perfect and exactly what I was looking for, but when I'm not playing or even lightly underneath when I am playing is a terrible hiss. There's no ground lift on the SVT and when I went out of the SVT into a passive DI and then to the house it didn't make that big of a difference.

Any thoughts on how to get rid of this hiss? Grounding issue? Polarity? Do I need to add any equipment?

2. Ninjabot

Ninjabot

May 22, 2012
    Johnson City TN
    I would also like to know what this issue is that you are having. I've had a simular issue with my SVT4Pro as well. The wet side of my direct out gives a low hissing anytime I plug into it. The dry side works just fine but since it's the dry side my effects loop doesn't come through. It's usually not that big of a deal since the only thing I run through the effects loop is a Beringer Ultrafex. Not trying to post over top your thread just curious of what could cause this since I've not heard of this happening with anyone else that I know that have had one of these heads.

3. clewis13

clewis13

Aug 18, 2012
    Mine was doing it through both the wet and dry outputs, both XLR and 1/4". I even tried running bi-amp out. Our sound tech says its common for this head to be noisy and the only way to eliminate most of it is by running it through a cab and then mic. the cab. I just don't buy it. There must be someway to plug the guitar direct into the amp and have a pure tone come out the other side without needing to route through a cab, otherwise why would Ampeg build it with direct outs?

4. from what I've heard this is a common problem, Mine does it too

5. DanRJBrasil

DanRJBrasil

Jun 10, 2007
    this is a well known issue with the 4 pro and there is no solution, use a separated di from the 1/4

6. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

Yup - IME, Ampeg DIs on their amps have never been all that great... Besides, every gigging bassist should have a good quality DI, IMO - if anything, as a "backup" in case of amp failure...

- georgestrings

7. clewis13

clewis13

Aug 18, 2012
    Thanks. Any recommendations on a good DI? We tried a passive DI bit it didn't cut any of the fuzz. Any other thoughts on getting rid of the hiss?

8. The hiss is created by the electronics and component choices. Short of rebuilding the amp with better parts there is no real cure.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I've used 4 Pros with their built-in DI before and not gotten any buzz. I see no reason it can't be fixed. Call or email Ampeg on Monday and see what they think.

10. I think he's talking about hiss and not hum as from a ground loop Jimmy. Hiss you're pretty much stuck with, hum you can do something about. :)

11. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Hiss? That makes me think he's going post-EQ and goosing treble. My PF350 and Micro VR XLR outs don't hiss unless you boost treble significantly, but boosting treble also raises the noise floor of the treble along with the extra treble. And if those little micros don't hiss, I see no reason why a 4 Pro would. Maybe I'm wrong...but I think there's more to this one than we've been told.

12. clewis13

clewis13

Aug 18, 2012
    Through a cab the tone is perfect and I have no issues. It's only the direct out. I'm sure some of it can be EQ'd out. The sound leans more towards a hiss than a hum as there's not a lot of tone to the noise. Just a solid airy buzz that doesn't go away regardless of if Im playing or not. Any thoughts on a good DI post the SVT eliminating most of the hiss? Should I have the house lower the gain and boost on my end or vice versa?

13. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Post the 4 Pro? That would involve going out its XLR out, I believe, so I don't think that's a workable idea for you. I'd just get a REDDI ;)